IFish.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As one Ifisher put it, I have an "active mind". Occasionally I come up with an idea that could be very marketable. However, most of the time, there's an existing company that is already close to the proposed product and it just makes more sense to market the product idea to them than trying to compete with them in the market. That also means that without the proper protections, my idea is easily stolen.

Any advice? PMs would definitely be appreciated.

·
Administrator
119,516 Posts
I have had many of these. In fact, my ex hubby and I used to have these and we'd say, "Whatdya bet, someone will have this on TV within the month!" And they WOULD!!!

LOL

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
Write the idea down in as much detail as possible, enclose it in an envelope and mail it to yourself. Keep it sealed. Then, contact the party that may be interested in the idea. When you share the idea make sure they know you have a sealed, dated copy of what you are showing them so there is a verifiable date that YOU had the idea first. Cheap insurance policy.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
If it's really a good idea, why not apply for a patent? Then it won't matter who makes the product, you'll be entitled to royalties. Of course, you'll need to be prepared for a legal battle if someone does take it but a patent is still your best bet.
BTW, I've heard the envelope trick no longer works in court.

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
Notary republic can witness and date your documents. My wife is always inventing stuff. email her if you want a reading list regarding trademarks and patents.
You might drop her a line. PM me for her contact info.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
I Agree With Mad Mikey Up There . Do The Mail Thing Its Fool Proof

Luke

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Just be on the watch out for unmarked vehicles and black helicopters. And most important is to wear your tinfoil hat even in the shower.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I Agree With Mad Mikey Up There . Do The Mail Thing Its Fool Proof

Luke
Here is the legal stance on the "fool proof" mail idea.

However, this idea of a "Poor Man's Copyright" is a myth and not valid in a court of law. The only time copyright litigation can be pursued is when the original creator of intellectual property has REGISTERED the property with the U.S. Office of Copyright (provided they live in the U.S.).

Does the "Poor Man's Copyright" PROVE that the work was created by the date it was mailed? Not in a legal court of law. Again, the only proof (or prima facie evidence of validity) is when the original work is legally registered with the proper authorities.

·
Premium Member
14,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just be on the watch out for unmarked vehicles and black helicopters. And most important is to wear your tinfoil hat even in the shower.
Funny you should mention it, fishboys. My idea is a new, more efficient tinfoil hat design. :smirk:

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
Here is the legal stance on the "fool proof" mail idea.

However, this idea of a "Poor Man's Copyright" is a myth and not valid in a court of law. The only time copyright litigation can be pursued is when the original creator of intellectual property has REGISTERED the property with the U.S. Office of Copyright (provided they live in the U.S.).

Does the "Poor Man's Copyright" PROVE that the work was created by the date it was mailed? Not in a legal court of law. Again, the only proof (or prima facie evidence of validity) is when the original work is legally registered with the proper authorities.
Thanks for the info, I heard this a long long time ago. I figured if my post was in error there'd be someone here to set me straight..... :laugh:

Here's the Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poor_man's_copyright

·
Administrator
41,348 Posts
If you mail the idea to yourself, how do you prove to someone that the envelope was sealed at the time it was date-stamped by the post office?

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
Uh, Its Notary Public, no Republic about it, funny stuff.
Although it is illiegal to advertise as an Oregon Notary in Spanish, as Notaries South of the border are lawyers, and not the case here. We would not want to confuse any Spanish speaking neighbors from the South.

I have the NOLO book "Small Biz Legal Smarts" if you want to read it.

The only really good way to make a product, is to do it all by yourself :applause:

Notary republic can witness and date your documents. My wife is always inventing stuff. email her if you want a reading list regarding trademarks and patents.
You might drop her a line. PM me for contact info.

·
Premium Member
14,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So, what do you do if it's not the sort of thing that you could patent?

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Interesting, I know something of patent law and actually have several issued in my name ( nothing of value to the general public but in the Semi conductor industery) Its very complex. First you would need to do a patent search and see whats out there thats the same or similar. What I always scratched my head over was the fact that an idea does not have to be proven to work, or even to have been actually done. The idea itself can be grounds for a patent. If your idea is something simple, the best plan of action is to have a working model made yourself. Often, when an idea is presented to lets say a large company within the industery you are addressing.. if its a good idea the very first thing they do is to see how they can get in on it with additional ideas of their own, which they in turn will patent.. and leave you out. Its very dog eat dog out in the patent world.

In addition, I have been asking for clarification on 1 item. Lets say you have an idea. You discuss this idea on an internet forum in some detail. I have wondered if the date / time stamp on that post would stand up in court when someone else takes that idea and presents it. Seems much more valid that sending yourself a letter, but I don't actually know the answer.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Write the idea down in as much detail as possible, enclose it in an envelope and mail it to yourself. Keep it sealed. Then, contact the party that may be interested in the idea. When you share the idea make sure they know you have a sealed, dated copy of what you are showing them so there is a verifiable date that YOU had the idea first. Cheap insurance policy.
This process is no longer acceptable as proof.
Talk to any patent attorney and they will confirm it.
The first one to file it owns it period.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Back in about 1976 my brother put some ski bindings on a small surf board, put a sharp edge on it for cutting the snow on turns. Man we road they heck out of that thing until it snapped getting air over a fallen tree. Could have been the first snow board on Weston mountain!

Go for Amp! do something before someone else does!

·
Registered
332 Posts
I use to do a lot of dealing with intellectual property with many different companies around the world. Never discuss details without a confidentiallity agreement. If they won't sign one don't make the trip. To get them intrested talk the end benefits of the idea not the details if you can. If they want to screw you, most major companies don't, they might find a way but you have a document they sign and date. Talk to your attorney. Patents are expensive and difficult to get, and don't mean a thing until they are tested in court and it rules in your favor. Time to market is the most important, find a partner you can trust and get a decent royality with something upfront for your idea. Good luck.

·
Registered
17,794 Posts
If it has to do with replacing door knobs - forget it some will just never understand

1 - 20 of 21 Posts