IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

· Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bud reports a 100 plus pound fish hooked up on a clone on the outside rigger at about 10:15 or so. It looks like the Albright knot failed at the Dacron to mono connection when they tried to slow the fish down after stopping the boat. They've placed the 30's inside the cabin and are running 50's and 70's now.

The boil on the jig was more than impressive. The Sport Fishing Mag editor is truly impressed...

They're well inside of cell range with fish in the box, jumpers and live bait on board. Very little wind but a sizeable swell that may prevent them from playing with the little squigglies.

More to come...

· Registered
3,294 Posts
Bud reports a 100 plus pound fish hooked up on a clone on the outside rigger at about 10:15 or so. It looks like the Albright knot failed at the Dacron to mono connection when they tried to slow the fish down after stopping the boat. They've placed the 30's inside the cabin and are running 50's and 70's now.

The boil on the jig was more than impressive. The Sport Fishing Mag editor is truly impressed...

They're well inside of cell range with fish in the box, jumpers and live bait on board. Very little wind but a sizeable swell that may prevent them from playing with the little squigglies.

More to come...
I told him to quit tying knots.. Hey Bud would you like some new topshots with the hollow core?

Sorry man.. sucks losing a big one..

· Registered
652 Posts
Those are the fish that you remember "almost" more than the ones you catch.

Hollow spectra insertions are the way to go...............the albright is a good knot, but I have seen way to many good ones bust off at that connection. At deep color in PV last year we had a 'cow' bust off at that connection..................I think of that fish (lack of that fish) almost daily.

Bud...........way to keep the juices flowing. Just one like that would win the entire OTC.

Marty

· Registered
4,804 Posts
Why don't you save the bandwidth and just let us know when Bud isn't fishing.:laugh::laugh: Hope they get one to the boat they can really brag about!

· Registered
5,295 Posts
Told bud last week there were big fish seen down south and headed his way. Sorry to hear the first round went to the fish. Bring em up again.

· Registered
5,771 Posts
And now for the rest of the story...

After a great evening fish last night...we hit the boat about 8 today and slide out to 14 miles...took about 5 minutes before the rigger popped and the Archer bar got slammed...two more fish and it happened...Mike sees a pig tuna crash the surface...I saw the splash...he knows what he's talking about...you get the picture...big tuna are in the house!!! A smart captain might have changed gear...but I really did not think we would hook one...well as luck would have it...we spin around and come back through only to have the largest boil I've seen in my spread up here...the 30 wide was on fire...Mike knew it was a big fish...I slowed the boat down and he gave the fish more drag...the fish had slowed or so it seemed, but then the knot gave way and we were left with "what if"...I had put the 50's or 70's out.

Can't live in the past...the Archer bars got bit all day long...doubles + towards the end and we were out of ice. Nice grade of fish and the man from Orlando has had two super days off our beloved coast!

The tuna are visiting the proctologist again...if you know what I'm sayin'

No wind issues...big swells now days are 4'...NW wind has picked up this afternoon...but we'll be back at it tomorrow...5 straight days of Oregon tuna...good thing they're not too far off shore!!!

· Registered
3,251 Posts
Holy crap, you actually hooked one! Too bad your knot, or more accurately, your braid, failed.

I have been talking for quite a while about the poor knot strength of braid. In my tests, it ran about 60% of rated strength. It will never see use in my boat for tuna. I run 50# mono, which typically breaks at more than 100% of rated strength. Braid and Avets are no doubt sexy, but I would have rather hooked that fish on 50# Big Game on a 6/0 Senator. Odds are pretty good that with good boat control and 450 yards of line, that fish would have gone for a boat ride.

Not being critical, but Senators with greased carbon fiber drags and 50# Big Game are as reliable as taxes.

· Registered
5,771 Posts
Monday morning QB's can say what they want...a Penn 30 VSX is enough with braid in shallow water...chase the fish...Mike feels like he gave it too much drag...I say the gear should not fail...my fault.

The big sticks with wind-on leaders were on the boat...simply did not think we would run into a pig at 10 am...15 miles off shore.

Won't be thinking about this at all tonight...

· Registered
68 Posts
Great job brother it's only a matter of time now!!! Weeks ago same sightings heading out to meet you and the guys. But the magic was not with us that day. Keep up the good hunt, and see you tomorrow. Great story and thanks for sharing.:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

· Registered
6,692 Posts
Nice effort Buddy Boy. It's easy to say what should have been done, but the difference is that you were there doing it. Gear that gets worked throughout a season with knots and salt water, and gaffs flying.....who knows the reason why..... Seeing how many fish have come aboard the Seelicious this year, just the knot going in and out through the eyes under pressure of fish dozens upon dozens of time could weaken the connection.

I'll take the gear on the Seelicious over a Senator any day. There's more than a few people that run braid and topshots that fish every day. :hoboy:

· Registered
2,988 Posts
Bud
Sorry to here about that toad getting away . I'm sure the next one you will nail. You fish enough to know how to get it done. Just post some photos of it as we all all jonesing to see one. You got a look at one and I'm sure your jazzed now-Good luck on the hunt. Man I love my archer bars -Bobs making more for me this week. Mark

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.