IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title says it all. I'm an eastern Oregon transplant to Corvallis and have always hunted out east, but this year I have the damage control tag which is good through March in Willamette unit.

Lifelong hunter (over 30 years); ethical hunter, respect the land and neighbors.

Please message me with any leads or recommendations, thanks!

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Sorry, but why would you buy this tag without access? You and 30k other hunters want this access!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
Title says it all. I'm an eastern Oregon transplant to Corvallis and have always hunted out east, but this year I have the damage control tag which is good through March in Willamette unit.

Lifelong hunter (over 30 years); ethical hunter, respect the land and neighbors.

No help for you, but good luck! There are elk in the Willamette Unit, but they are few between. You would be better off to take drive east and go hunt there.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Or happy to pay average of $1,000 for access. Same “stuff” happens with Willy deer tag.

·
Registered
34 Posts

That's a tough one. Possibly try ONX and speak to some of the farmers in the area south of Corvallis. They are usually accommodating.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry, but why would you buy this tag without access? You and 30k other hunters want this access!

I primarily hunt in eastern Oregon, and have lots of access there but the season ends Nov. 30 on that side and Willamette is the closest unit open though March.
Do I get half an elk if I put you on one? Is the season open now?
Long season, August through March in some units. Half an elk is steep!
Actually, ill message you. I know a spot.
Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
573 Posts
Elk Vertebrate Plant Deer Barren ground Caribou

Our place four years ago...10 minutes from Safeway So. Commercial in Salem. Have not seen them since so sharing my address won't be much help.

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
Sorry, but why would you buy this tag without access?

Because it's the starting point for negotiations towards obtaining access :)

Its now what you know, its who you know :cool:

And sometimes its how much wine you buy at the winery :p

Most of the other tag holders don't want to work that hard obtaining access ;)

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Because it's the starting point for negotiations towards obtaining access :)

Its now what you know, its who you know :cool:

And sometimes its how much wine you buy at the winery

Most of the other tag holders don't want to work that hard obtaining access ;)
The tag can be bought at any time through the season..... Although I'm sure ODFW loves the $$$ it's not the starting point of anything. At least it's not a draw tag taking away from someone else's opportunity. I just don't understand why you would give away the $$$ without a place

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Most of the elk don't understand boundaries and jump from one parcel to another. You really need friends that can call you that morning and say they are here and you have an hour to get here or they are on my neighbors land. I have a friend that gets one nearly every year but they drink their coffee and look out the window. It can be a meat market.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Most of the elk don't understand boundaries and jump from one parcel to another. You really need friends that can call you that morning and say they are here and you have an hour to get here or they are on my neighbors land. I have a friend that gets one nearly every year but they drink their coffee and look out the window. It can be a meat market.
The most accurate post in this thread.

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
I just don't understand why you would give away the $$$ without a place
if $49.50 for a resident elk tag is considered $$$ I can't imagine what a 4-digit trespass fee would be considered to be :unsure:

for many, memories >> dollars :geek:

for others, not so much 😏

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
if $49.50 for a resident elk tag is considered $$$ I can't imagine what a 4-digit trespass fee would be considered to be :unsure:

for many, memories >> dollars :geek:

for others, not so much
Yep, not that expensive. However that sure would buy a really nice prime rib dinner at Clyde's if I didn't have a place to hunt.

·
Registered
686 Posts
i would check the duck clubs around Finley refuge, the elk get into the standing corn and make a mess.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Do I get half an elk if I put you on one? Is the season open now?
Well, half an elk (payable only when there actually is a dead elk), with an OTC tag...there are certainly worse possible offers.

I would clarify whether this means "Half of the dead animal laying in the field" or "Half of the little white frozen packages the shooter brings home from the processor". One is a pretty fair deal, the other not so much.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I would clarify whether this means "Half of the dead animal laying in the field" or "Half of the little white frozen packages the shooter brings home from the processor". One is a pretty fair deal, the other not so much.
Definitely unprocessed, I'll even pack my half. I just like eating elk as it tastes alot better than this years unpunched archery tag. Last years elk is nearly gone and that's no good!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts