IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time posting in the fishing section of the forum. I’m over on the hunting side of things most of the time. Never been a big fisherman as typically I spend my time hunting and also never had anybody teach me. However, I’m wanting to learn and incorporate it into me and my family’s lives and have my kids grow up both fishing and hunting. My grandpa has agreed to sell me his sled but we have yet to come up with a price. I was hoping some people much more knowledgeable than me could weigh in on what they think it’s worth? Just to be clear, it’s the whole package, trailer, boat and motors. He has taken pretty good care of it as he baby’s all of his gear. Not positive of the age, but the oldest tags I see on the side of the boat are from ‘01. Not sure how much age matters with boats? I’m 99% sure it’s an 18’ boat. Flat-bottom North River with a 80 HP Yamaha four stroke jet and a 4 HP Yamaha four stroke prop motor. Again, I’m greener than a rookie so please forgive my ignorance. If I’ve posted this in the wrong section, I apologize. Looking forward to what people have to say.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Bambi,
Look at the serial number on the back of the boat... the last 2 digits are numbers and indicate the year it was manufactured. The motors will almost always have an indicator tag with dates. That 80hp jet is pretty valuable. The little kicker motor would not be very helpful for most trolling applications (too small) but would be very easy to sell to a guy with a sailboat or pram. Yours is a hard boat to value without some more details but my wild guess would be around 15k.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Look for a HIN (hull identification number) on the stern right side. It’ll give you year and manufacturer. If it is a North River you can call them and they’ll be able to help you further decode the HIN as far a model and length.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
You can check NADA you’ll find a value there, but typically low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39,369 Posts
You may be disappointed with the boat but this has to do with application, not that it's a bad boat because it's actually a nice boat. Unless you actually need a flat bottom boat and jet drive, you'd be better off with a different hull design and convert to prop drive. Flat bottom boats ride rough in chop and may be tough to control in wind while trolling.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
As usual DogZilla is right on with his comments. First thing before price to consider is what, where, and how you intend to use the boat. This boat is quite limited by the features listed, jet, small kicker, etc. and also being an "open" boat in our climate has it's comfort limits; especially if you are involving your family. A windy, cold, rough, ride and/or wet weather with no protection are not conducive to family fun. It is a good boat for rivers and shallow water, not so much for lakes or the ocean.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for the information and input. I will have to track down the HIN from my grandpa. The biggest reason I am considering this is the fact that he said he would make me a good deal on it and I could probably get it substantially below market value. Now to do some more research and find out what a good market value would be. Thanks again!

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
I think it’s great that a boat like that is staying in the family and the traditions continue on to a couple of next generations.
Watch all of the sites like Craig’s List and FB Marketplace and you will see similar boats like yours and you can gauge a market price. If it disappears in a day or two it was priced well. If it hangs around for 8 weeks there’s a good chance it was priced to high.
One of my fishing buddies sold an older 18’ flat bottom Alumaweld with an older Merc and newer trolling motor for $10K this past spring. It went fast.
It will be a great boat for you, get you started on boat ownership and what will probably be the first of many yet to come.
Hope you guys enjoy the heck out of your new boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
10,329 Posts
Offer $10,000. You’re family. If he needs max possible cash, let him pursue that. There are better boats out there.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I think there are some questions. What did your grandpa use it for, and would he like it to stay in the family? Next question is to yourself. What kind of fishing do you plan on doing with it. And where would you use it most? Another question is have you ever ran a jet propelled boat before?

like some of the guys above mentioned, flat bottom Jet boats have a purpose. They run in shallow water up a river with less resistance, but without a prop and a flat bottom, your turning abilities is much different than a V shaped hull and it isn’t as responsive at low speeds. Coming down river through rapids in one of those can be unnerving until you get used to it because you need to power into your turns. Slowing down is always your first natural response, but as soon as you throttle down you loose your turning response time and can end up on the rocks pretty easy.
You also will be limited on open water like the Columbia or the bays, and that is NOT a good ocean boat.

id give this some thought…. If it means a lot to your grand dad for you to have it, and gives you a good price…….Buy it and go play with it….. see if it is going to work for your needs. If not…. You can always sell it later and get something else. Just be careful if you do buy it…these jets take some getting used to. if you want to run some rapids upstream with it , find an experienced Jet boat pilot to teach you the ropes. This isn’t something you should just teach yourself. My .02 cents. Kirk

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I appreciate all the advice, questions for me to ponder, etc. Honestly having a boat of any sort isn’t really something I had ever imagined at this point in my life but since he would be willing to give me a good deal on it, I figured it might be a good way for me to get into that sector of the outdoors. I would mostly let the boat and it’s ability/function dictate my uses for it. Like my original post mentioned, I’ve grown up mostly hunting. The thought of having a boat to run up and down parts of the Willamette looking for 615 tag bucks or being able to hunt ducks out of it appeals to me. Not sure if that is the type of boat for that thing though. I’d love to Kokanee fish with it, but sounds like even a slightly rough day on a lake/reservoir might be rough in a flat bottom boat? Not sure if it would be possible to use it in bays just dropping crab traps? Those were my thoughts for use anyways.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
It would be fine for all of those things. Especially for the willamette work. Fair warning on the 615 river hunting though, know the laws because it’s all private ground and game cameras today take very good pictures.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
Saw this Alumaweld for sale today which is a like boat to yours. Asking $15K which I would assume could be negotiated down a bit. Maybe it can provide some insight of an agreed price with your grandfather.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts