IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read a book on steelhead fishing they said one of the best colors for corkies and jigs was red later in the same book they said red was the color in the spectrum to lose its color under water.Does anyone realy know. Ive been using thin line and tring to be aware of what hits when and my best luck so far has been green with the yellow strip and glitter,can anyone suggest other colors or explain how this works. :shrug:

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have found that in clearer water conditions, red, orange, peach, pale pink seem to work very well. When the water is murky or cloudy, I use darker colors like purple, dark green, black etc. Yes it's true that red is the first color to be lost in the water. It requires more light than any other. The darker the color, the less light it needs to reflect to be seen.
I don't know if it's true or not, but I have read articles that suggest that steelhead (trout in general) see the same basic color spectrum we see. So I generally ask myself when buying yarn and such, "Is this a natural color? Could it imitate something in nature?" If my answer is no, then I usually won't get it. Besides, I'm a flyfisher at heart, so I also take into account that bugs can be many different colors.

·
Registered
95 Posts
My thought on this one is if red is the so called color of choice and it is the first one to loose the ability to reflect light- what does the fish see? Probably a shade of grayish red to flat black?
Nothing to alarm but visually interesting.
Did that sound good? Personally, I like pink and pearl so I catch my fish on pink and pearl.
J

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
Pink, pearl pink, gloss orange, pearl peach and sunburst orange(almost a glossy red).
These colors work great for steelhead all year round. Keep pink, orange, black, green and red yarn close at hand to add scent or a more bug like presentation. just my .02
Good luck.

·
Registered
16,544 Posts
:grin: I think I`ll put on my mask and flippers and just go see for myself! :laugh: Fishft.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I can assure you that they really like blinking red lights, ie. Lighted K-13's, lighted vortexes and wazzats! :cheers:

·
Registered
289 Posts
Red has the shortest wave length and will turn black the farther away you are. Florcesent colors have longer wave lengths. In off color water the darker colors work better because the suspended solids in the water are the same as us driving in the fog. This is why chartuse and black/brass and black work best in turbid water(black car with fog lights) easier to see. read the book What Fish See than all your friends will really think you are crazy...

·
Registered
195 Posts
FallRiverguy that link was really useful, Thanks!

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
This from the reading:
When the sky is dark or cloudy use bright lures.
When it is sunny use dark lures.

I have found that for me, these two statements are exact opposites when I fish most of the time. When it's dark and cloudy, the first thing I use it a black or green spoon. When the sun comes out, I put on a silver or gold spinner.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts