IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got another disturbing call on Thursday night that another driftboat went down on the Shelburn to Greens bridge run. This again happened in the same spot as the last accident near the old log jam. The two guys and woman with them got out alive but not after a good scare, the woman was almost swept under some logs. People if you are drifting the river please keep your wits and be safe. The river changes with the level and as it gets lower many cannels run near or into trees and other submerged debris. This is the second accident and so far everyone has survived to tell about it, please use your best judgment and exorcise extreme caution, accidents happen on a moments notice.

[ 05-17-2003, 02:18 PM: Message edited by: Chinookie ]

·
Banned
1,511 Posts
I second that.
I run a sled on that section of river until water gets down to 2500cfs, then it gets to skinny to run it. There are many places where water forces you into trees. I would classify this section as (Pro Oarsmen) only. If you think you're good, think this one through, and go with someone who's run it at low water.

Next guy who runs this section should take a photo or two, that would be great to show a few what they may be up against.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I shared a drift with Bob Lusk Friday evening.He said that another boat sank Friday,and now there are three boats stacked under that spot.Please be carefull out there.Three or four years ago something like nine or ten boats went down in that section.
good luck
iggie

·
Registered
9 Posts
This may sound silly, but are there any postings of danger at the put-in's above that section? I think it is great that these warnings are here but not everyone looks here and some people probably don't do the research they should. Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
guitgary, The Greens bridge to Jefferson run does ( imo) have it's own dangerous spots. They are mostly concentrated in the last 1/2 mile of the North before it merges with the South. There are some choices to make on which flow you should be in and few downed trees to float around that are smack dab in the best floatable water with some gravel bars approaching on a couple of sides. In all though a pretty easy run. I'll be interested in seeing how the river changes while the river drops in cfs and water. I drifted in yesterday and it has changed a lot since I last drifted it a week ago friday. And to top it off, I lost such a nice fish at the boat. Big Fish. He liked those Amermans. Fought him for a long time. He had several runs in him and one beautiful leap. My clues for the day. Rivers are always unpridicable and get a net dummy (me)

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
I sure am glad everyone got out alive. Did anyone have on a PFD? There is nothing like these accidents to remind people how fast things happen. Please, everyone ware your PFD's. It could save your life.
Be careful out there and have fun.
st

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just talked to Bob Lusk.He said another boat went down Saturday.He also said someone at the Stayton ramp backed his brand new Ford pickup down to load his drift boat. Someone was in the boat.The truck started rolling, he jumped back into the truck but it was too late.The truck,trailer and boat were floating downstream.Everyone got out, the trailer and boat were retrieved.The truck is still in the river in water up to the cab.
Be carefull out there,good luck.
iggie

·
Registered
61 Posts
i saw that rig in the middle of the river still sittimg upright. looks pretty funny from the stayton boat ramp. luckily no one got hurt. on another note; does it seem like the bite is pretty slow for this time of year to anyone else? or is everyone else catching a bunch of fish, just not me? i've been concentrating my efforts between the stayton dam and shelburn with no luck. just 2 takedowns and no fish on 4 trips this past week. i've been using a little of everything; throwing spoons, diver and bait, backbouncing deep holes. nothin. i did catch a nice 16 inch rainbow on a pink worm saturday. but i was just wondering if anyone is doing much catching lately or not. if not, anyone have any ideas as to why?

·
Premium Member
22,466 Posts
Can someone email me a name of anyone involved in any of the losses? Did the sheriff cover it? Thanks

·
Registered
558 Posts
Bill, I assisted Linn county rescue to retrieve the truck on Sunday. I video taped the whole event. The county boats were not there. I run a sled and took the divers out to the vehicle. It was interesting. The owners of the vehicle were there. I have their names at home. I will have them to you tomorrow.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hey santiam slayer..Yea i havn't had much luck on the santiam either. The fishing should pick up once the water temp. heats up alittle :dance: should be some good fishing then. cant wait, I will probably be goin down this weekend. Maybe we can hook up and i will teach you a couple of my secrets. :cheers: Good luck fishing during the week~ :smile:

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I am bringing this back because I just talked to my buddy who is the owner second boat that went down. He was fortunate enough to get his boat back with some help from another fisherman (thanks again by the way). Unfortunately like so many others in the past, most of his tackle, gear, oars, and the motor are missing. He had several Fenwick steelhead rods, both of the seats and the 15 horse Suzuki outboard on the boat when it went down. Now of course all of those items are gone, please if anyone has any knowledge about this send me an e-mail.

Thanks, Scott

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.