IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How hard is it to wire a second battery and switch in to a boat.
two sets of wires, 1 switch 2 batterys.
Am I missing something. I was just quoted 250.00. for just the wires and switch installed. What am I missing?

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
There isn't much to it. I'm far from a mechanic and I did it successfully. The switch comes with instructions.

That quote seems a bit on the high side to me. Of course, we are talking "marine" which quadruples all prices, in my experience at least.

·
Registered
17,013 Posts
If the switch comes with a wiring diagram it should be very easy - assuming there's room to work in your boat for mounting the switch, running the cables, etc.

WestMarine offers 4-position (off, A, B, A+B)Perco Battery switch for $37, just add cables and you're there.

It's also easy to connect accessories to the switch's lugs so that everything is wired to the switch and not to the batteries.

·
Registered
8,997 Posts
The hardest part for me was finding cables long enough without making my own, mounting the battery box, and switch. Otherwise, it wasn't a big deal.

·
Registered
19,910 Posts
Bassin,you'll also need a battery isolator. This divice knows which battery is lowest,and will apply the alternator charge to that battery. You can't simultaneously charge two batteries at the same time,alternator failure will occur.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Did the quote include the second battery? Seems way high to me. Should not be a problem finding cables that reach. The switch should be located within 12 inches or so of the batteries anyway. I have this system and it is great!

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all, I was pretty sure it could not be that tough to do.
I was shocked that for 50 bucks retail parts, plus the battery. would equal 250.00 at the dealer. But I know that service time is high.
I think I will do it this weekend some time.
Thanks again.
Cliff

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
Now 250.00 might sound like a lot of money. But this is a business.

Battery- 70 bucks
Other parts-60 bucks
Labor and shop costs 50 bucks.
profit-70 bucks....maybe.

I am in business for myself. I do not work for my health. Why should a boat wrench( or any other biz for that matter) do anything for you out of the goodness of their heart?

Do it yourself. Or pay the company to do it for you.

Boats aint cheap. Pony up.

Mark and the dog.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Bassin....

I have installed over 6 of these systems for friends, its very easy, besure to do two things. Buy the battery switch with the altnator safety "off protection" and also install an isolator so it can charge the weakest battery. If you have to purchase the post/neg cables they are about $3.00/ft plus connections (cheep), battery (your choice), switch $35.00, isolator ($80.00), misc stuff $15.00 it will cost about $200-$250 for just supplies. I know I just installed one Monday night on a Duckworth. If you need help e-mail me , of if you like can help, just have to take me fishing...

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Flatfish: I know they are not cheap. I have two. A Ranger bass boat(2000) and Duckworth (2002). So I don't mind spending the wifes money. :laugh: I was just asking a question.

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
bassin',

LOL. I don't mind spending her money either. But she sure does!

Mark and the dog.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts