IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past weekend while fishing just below Agness on the Rogue we encountered several seals.

We fished hard on Saturday landed 10 salmon between two of us. Ended up keeping a 40lb'er, 30lb'er and 2- 15lb'ers.

On Sunday we fished the same stretch, same methods. No fish but 3 seals is the area. These seals had to travel 25+ miles upstream through some pretty skinny riffles.

The water release from the dam at Lost Creek is now only 900cfs. Makes for pretty skinny boating downriver. I was surprised to see a few tour boats still operating out of Gold Beach. I don't know when they stop but it can't be too far off unless we get some rain.
:grin:

·
Registered
626 Posts
It's a shame they chase the fish up that far.

Back in the mid-70's we encounterd a sealion in March at Battle Bar. We were floating the canyon a hammerin on the winter fish, and here is this sealion laying on the big rock just off the steps of Generals Cabin. Not only was he that far up river, but he was eating a winter steelhead to boot! The lower Rouge was not yet designated wild and scenic at that time. Lost Creek Dam had not yet been completed. Most drift boats were still constructed of wood, and I am pretty sure it was the last steelhead that critter ate.

·
Registered
7,826 Posts
Can you do something about the bears? I'm going to be camped there in a couple of weeks and historically I've had a lot of problems with them there. That spot happens to be one of my favorite fly fishing spots for the wily Rogue Steelehad. By the way Clown Corkie...I picked up a 45 lb salmon Thursday night at Galice

[ 09-24-2003, 08:06 PM: Message edited by: Grantspastor ]

·
Registered
89 Posts
I once interviewed for a job at Lucas Lodge at Agnes. To bad it didn't work out at the time. Would have been a great experience for my family.......I have heard of seals coming and taking the fish off of your hook on the bank while landing the fish on the rogue.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Watched probably ten get taken this past weekend in the bay. One guide boat in particular got nailed three times. There must have been a half dozen seals just above 101. There were slingshots everywhere, man, everywhere! :grin:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts