IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seal \\ Otter Pupulation hypothesis

Today in the "Statesman Journal" Section C (Live& Local), Page 5 there is an article that seal and otter populations are down due to whale hunting decades ago. Please read the article yourself by clicking on the following: http://news.statesmanjournal.com/article.cfm?i=68266

Does this make any sense at all? I wouldn't mind some interpretations in regards to this. :whazzup:

I find the following statement is very disturbing:

“If our hypothesis is correct, either wholly or in significant part"

It seems to me that this particular article is a little sloppy in regards to publishing ideas that, are hypothesis at best. :shrug:

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Re: Seal \\ Otter Pupulation hypothesis

Does anybody have any first hand knowledge or know somebody that saw the killer whale pod come into Yaquina years ago? Just wondering if that was not an urban ledgend.

·
Registered
46 Posts

:shocked: This article also appeared in this morning's copy of the Spokesman Review (25 Sept 03).
Yes it does make sense to me, but it is only a hypothesis.. like you said, at best. I do firmly believe that the Russians and Japanese are guilty of stripping the oceans of aquatic life.. :mad: Being an American, I am a little less reluctant in point the finger at us, but we too have done our share (i.e. pollock fish and spider crabs, etc.). :hoboy: Anyway, I found the theory interesting.... :shrug: something that will probably stay in the "ivory tower" of University of Alaska, Fairbanks...

[ 09-25-2003, 12:27 PM: Message edited by: Weeler Dealer ]

·
Registered
3,123 Posts

I know that the transient Orca around Vancouver Is. will eat a sea lion every chance they get. But the local pods eat fish.
id.p.

·
Registered
46 Posts

Yes, ID, Discovery Channel did a program about that. The "Travelling "bands/pods/herds" of Orcas are meat eaters (seals, etc.), where the local pods are fish eaters. Travelling ones are much more agressive, etc... Great pictures and story/research presentation that Discovery did.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts