IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going Tuna fishing( first time) out of San Diego beginning of Sept.

How long before I go out should I put on the patch. We will be leaving on a Friday night and return on Sunday afternoon.

I would love to be able to enjoy Saturdays fishing experience.

Any suggestions. Which medicine, when to apply and how often. Food to eat....soda crackers to chum later( lol)?

Thanks in advance.

BCF

· Registered
2,144 Posts
Going Tuna fishing( first time) out of San Diego beginning of Sept.

How long before I go out should I put on the patch. We will be leaving on a Friday night and return on Sunday afternoon.

I would love to be able to enjoy Saturdays fishing experience.

Any suggestions. Which medicine, when to apply and how often. Food to eat....soda crackers to chum later( lol)?

Thanks in advance.

BCF

This entire thread was just hashed through fairly completly within the last few days/week. :cheers:

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=163602

· Registered
6,277 Posts
I put my patch on the night before. I have had a few times where they come off so have an extra or two.

Mike

· Registered
70 Posts
I also had one come off couple weeks ago. Got to wondering why I was feeling a little crappy all of a sudden when it was flat and the guy I was with said my patch was gone. So next time I think I will put a piece of tape to help it stay on. I put mine on night before and was good to go.They last 3 days too.

· Registered
3,233 Posts
BCF, I have tried everything and the best stuff to use is Bonine. I tell you try it because it works, does not make you drowsy at all. But you need to start it the day before and then take it everyday the same time. Hope you do well fishing.....

· Registered
11,395 Posts
Robin, another thing is to make sure you get plenty of sleep the night before.
Being rested plays a big part in how your equallibrium will handle the waves.
Bring some candied ginger or ginger snaps to chew on too. They help if you do get a little queezy.
Have fun!

· Registered
2,863 Posts
Sounds rediculous but open a beer in the harbor, drink 1/2, throw the rest away. It does an excellent job of settling your stomach. The rest of the people on the boat will think your an alcy but atleast you won't be chummin on there parade! To me, Beer taste pretty raunchy in the morning but it really does work. My dad was pretty much a non-drinker, he was good for about 6 stubby pabst per year. All of them were drank at 4:30 a.m. at the Kenosha, Wi harbor before going out on Lake Michigan

· Registered
1,212 Posts
Gotta agree with NW Dukn's post, he's right on the money. Bonine is by far the greatest thing I have ever used. Better then Dramamine, better then ginger snaps, or the patch. It just flat out works! It won't make your drowsy and if you take it the night before and then about 2hrs before you head out you'll be golden. Good luck.

· Registered
723 Posts
You might consider going to your doctor and getting prescription for a medicine, it's meclezine, metlezine? And also a, I am not kidding, suppository called fenergen, fenergan? Not sure of spelling, but these are really effective and if you're prone to seasickness, dramamine won't do the trick but these will.

· Registered
16,924 Posts
Any suggestions.
Indeed, check out that thread cited by Sea Jypzee.

Right after that discussion I got my doc to prescribe some Scopace (Scopalamine) tablets. Initially I had some problems with the RX as the pharmacist had only heard about the patch, and the doc thought that's what I wanted too. But after referring them to the official IFish Physicians Reference for Seagoing Clients they understood what I wanted.

As somebody in that thread described, with the tablets you can control the dosage and use what you need according to the ocean's conditions. Some described the scopalamine as making them sleepy but I've really not encountered that. Some Red Bull and a thermos of hot tea keep me caffineated.

Staying hydrated is important in any activity to lessen fatigue and avoid headaches so we've always got plenty of water, Gatorade and Propel. And regular snacks too.

· Registered
5,116 Posts
I think the "Bonine", "Meclezine", and "Non-Drowsy Dramamine" mentioned above are one in the same (Meclezine being the generic; I bought a huge bottle of it at the Kaiser Permanente pharmacy a while back for about a dollar).

I really think the key for you to have a great day will be to party hard the night before, remembering to change drinks often, and don't bother trying to sleep because you'll be too excited. Breakfast is important the morning of the trip - fat is your friend! I'd go to Denny's and get the ultimate slam with extra sausage. By the way, how do you feel about tobacco? I hear that at the first hint of seasickness, a little pinch of Copenhagen can really brighten your day.

Have fun!

Your friend,
Raaaaalph

· Registered
191 Posts
There's no reason to use the patch anymore.The patch in pill form is Scopace,same as scopolomine.Approx.4 pills equal 1 three day patch.If I know I'm looking at a rough day I take one the night before and 1 before I board.This amount seems to take care of all conditions.Iwouldn't hesitate on taking another if needed.

Some of the advice on this board is excellent some is bull.Use common sense,no alcohol,eat light non greasy meals,little or no coffee,real ginger ale,gingersnaps.Motion sickness is not in your head,it's real but can be dealt with.Do a search and pull up Captn. Kujo's comments,some good info.

· Registered
1,246 Posts
I finally found a cocktail that works for me. I get sick regardless if the ocean was flat or rough. LAst night I put on the patch before bed and took a Bonine. When I woke up this morning I took another bonine. It was quite swelly out there today and I did not get quezzy at all. First time I have ever been out and not got sick!!:dance::dance:

· Registered
1,455 Posts
I have the answer to your patch coming off problem....medical supply stores sell something called "skin prep" or the like...it makes the 3 day pain patches stick to the skin for the 3 days....little wipes in a box...I use them as a nurse for all wound care, as it keeps bandaids, tape, and patches on until I take them off..not expensive...I will have some at the OTC....that way you all can try them...I will be the one entering the fish weights on my laptop on the dock...just yell "sticky thing" and I will toss you a few....good luck.....ElizabethAnne : )

· Registered
391 Posts
If anyone is going to useBonamine you need to go to the pharmacist and ask them for it. When you get it pre-packaged off the shelf, it's usually close to $1 per dose. I think it cost me four or five bucks for a bottle of 50 pills at Costco, direct from the pharmacist. Now I keep a supply of them in my truck for my crew.

Bob

· Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks you all...you guys are great....especially Beefcake's advice......I can just feel the love coming up.......I mean over.

Seriously, it is much appreciated....I am such a wimp. I will let you all know how it all works out.(LOL)

BCF

· Registered
5,116 Posts
Just messin' with you... Have fun down there! I'm jealous; I was down there last fall but didn't have time to fish. I spent two evenings on the dock watching the charters unload their catch. There is a good chowder place by H&M / Point Loma charters if I remember right. Anyway, bonk a pig for me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.