IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking to my retired buddy and he said he has been volunteering to count sea lions at the Willamette Falls area. He said they are trying to collect data to see if the impact of sea lions on the salmon is an issue the Feds need to take a look at.
This evening I talked to a friend that works at the ODFW and she said that mosy biologists agree the sea lion take is negligible.
I told her, "...not according to the local fishermen"!
So, here are two perspectives on the sea lion issue. Take sides IFISH brothers!!!! (and sisters)

·
Registered
10,514 Posts
Well, here's my math. I think there are about 2 sealions to the mile on the Columbia between Astoria and Portland. Those sealions need to eat about 5 lbs for every 100 lbs of biomass, very day. Assume 600 lbs for each sealion, 80 miles of river, and 14 lbs for an average salmon, and that means those sealions are eating 342 salmon a day.

Over the 45 day season, that is 15,428 fish. And I don't think they check for adiposes before chomping.

Sounds like a measurable impact to me. My figures are obviously pulled out of my nether region, but they are not out of the ball park.

·
Registered
638 Posts
We have seen several Sealions each fishing trip this year. We had 2 fish taken from us that we had hooked & were attempting to bring to the boat.
Sealions are smart hunters, I think they kill and eat alot of fish below the dams.
I would by a tag, the one that has my kwikfish stuck in his nose would make a awesome head mount.
Any other ideas on how to limit their impact? :shrug:

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Negligible? I agree with Silver Hilton's numbers which are conservative. It's not about taking sides, it's looking at the facts. I feel the seals have their place in the eco system, but if their "take" is not considered in the fish count then it will start looking like our budget. Unbalanced. :grin:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts