IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From today's Eugene R-G (AP):

MAN FINED FOR KILLING SEA LION

Seattle - A 55-year-old Olympia man has been fined $7000 for fatally shooting a California sea lion on the Lewis River last spring, the National Marine Fisheries Service said wednesday.

The fine is one of the largest ever imposed in the northwest.

Witnesses tipped investigators to the April shooting in Woodland. The man, who was not identified, said he shot the sea lion because it was eating young salmon and interfering with fishing.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
A good penalty for both parties, and one less sea lion in the world!! :grin: Just kidding.

tc

·
Registered
14,758 Posts
Does he get to keep the pelt? Do you need to pay in advance or can you just pay whenever you shoot one?

I wonder if Ted Nugent would want to come and and "whack" one with his bow for $7,000.

Cheeper than Kudu.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
The story goes on to say that he wrote a check for the fine, and paid it!

He didn't go to court, try to get the fine lowered, (Which they implied would have been entirely possible). He simply mailed in a check.

Ka'ching!

·
Registered
344 Posts
When I win the lottery I'm going to write them a check for 20 million, buy a boat that holds 20 people and go for a ride. I apologize if this offends anyone but this is America and I'm entitled to my opinion.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I'm ok with sea lions at sea, but when they come up river and compeat with me they should have to buy a tag just like the rest of us! :rolleyes:
ok I feel silly today, sorry

·
Registered
511 Posts
I hooked four fish yesterday on the Lewis. Three of the four had wounds from a seal or sea lion. I think that the population is getting out of control. If only I had a few more $s in my pocket :tongue: .

·
Registered
670 Posts
Anyone who condones shooting seals or sea lions needs clinical help!

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
We don't condone anything illegal on Ifish. But some of us could still use the clinical help. I know I could. :grin:

Skein

·
Registered
344 Posts
The original settlers and Eskimos of Alaska have been doing it for many many years. I'm not saying shoot them and let them drop to the bottom of the ocean where they would be food for the thousands of animals living there, I'm sure we could find a use for them somewhere.

And get this, do you hunt for Deer or Elk ?

·
Registered
22,375 Posts
GSA you could look at it this way. Much cheaper than an Alaskan Bear Hunt at $11,000 or a sheep hunt for that matter. Guess I'll be needing clinical help. :wink:

To set the record straight though, I do not condone this act. I truly do believe that the sealion and seal population is growing to rapidly. Natural predation is not taking care of these critters and capturing them does not work either. Suggestion, why not let the native americans thin the population a little? not trying to be crass here. They did hunt them at one time and it could be a solution to the problem. Would they be interested? :shrug:

·
Registered
344 Posts
To set the record straight I've never hunted and never could shoot an animal. I am however guilty of killing my fair share of hatchery fish.

And my Psychiatrist said I'm still crazy :laugh:

·
Registered
670 Posts
David,

Yes, I do hunt. Perhaps I should have been clearer on my point. I don't think anyone should poach any animal any time. I also believe that there may be an over population issue that should be looked at. Still poaching and making light of poaching is not the answer.
The seals and sea lions are not the reason that salmon are in decline. If we could shoot poachers for $7000.00 a whack, I would be out buying ammo.

·
Registered
147 Posts
anyone who enjoys our passion needs help. only a crazy can sit in a boat at 5:00 am with the rain going sideways and smile cuz thay be fishing

bring on the doc
I FEEL IT COMMING ON

WOW

·
Registered
22,375 Posts
If we could shoot poachers for $7000.00 a whack, I would be out buying ammo. [/QB][/QUOTE]

:hoboy: Senseless acts of kindness toward humanity. What a feeling..... :depressed:

[ 09-05-2003, 12:30 PM: Message edited by: CATCH AND EAT ]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts