IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy that lived at The Fishery for awhile told me the other day that when he was out sturgeon fishing one day he saw a dead sea lion float by that had been shot. He later told me that every once and awhile he would see that up there. Has anyone else heard of that??? and who is doing it???... the gillnetters???
:bowdown: The King

·
Banned
1,511 Posts
Ya that is just terrible, I'd like to know myself so I could give em a big pat on the the back for a job well done! just kiddin! :bowdown:

[ 09-23-2003, 07:45 AM: Message edited by: lund ]

·
Registered
450 Posts
Nothing brings joy to my heart like a dead sealion carcass floating by. Limited bow hunt season on those things is the way to go!

-Bottomfeeder

·
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger
38,260 Posts
Yes, it is just the pits when a naturally occurring predator gets my fish before I do. After all, he just needs it to survive. My needs of recreation are ever so much more important. :hoboy:

·
Registered
7,949 Posts
STGrule -
Thank you for stating what I was thinking. I know that no one on this board would really condone illegal behavior

[ 09-23-2003, 08:13 AM: Message edited by: OceanBlue ]

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Maybe it was just a spawned out Sea Lion? :shrug:

I've seen a couple tule Sea Lions up that way... :laugh:

Sorry couldn't resist.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
A guy shot one off the mouth of the Lewis or this Spring ("accute case of lead poisoning" as my buddy puts it). Anyway someone saw it and turned him in. When the authorities confronted him he didn't deny it. He was fined and set in a check for $7000 no questions asked. WDFW said it was the largest fine ever paid without any sort of appeal.

http://www.columbian.com/08302003/clark_co/68047.html

2 Springs ago some skinheads were shooting at sealions in the Columbia up by Bonnie from the bank. This was going on with hundreds of boats in the river. The cops finally came after a guide kept calling them from the river and directed them right to the hidden gun.

I personally think the northwest mentality of "they are taking my salmon" is pretty childish. They were here first and there is more than enough to go around. It's the same thing everywhere you go. In the Southwest it's the hawks are killing 'my quail.' Or the coyotes and cougars are killing 'my deer.' Man is the one encroaching on everything, but that's another story...

·
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger
38,260 Posts
Well in pre-dam days they occurred naturally up to Celilo Falls. Freshwater, saltwater, it doesn't matter, they were where they were long before us.

·
Registered
19,909 Posts
Keta,perhaps a limited Native American sea lion season maybe in order?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Let Native Americans have a season on seals and sea lions then they could sell items of outdoor clothing from the hides increasing the natural look for rain gear.

·
Premium Member
11,041 Posts
Maybe the shooter was a native American. (I doubt he was an immigrant.)

I think a more interesting question is have sea lions existed historically in their present range and numbers and did indigenous populations harvest them?
Another question is what percentage of salmon runs have the sea lions historically harvested?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Roadsend: Another question is what percentage of salmon runs have the sea lions historically harvested?

Aye! and is their season shortened when they've reached their allotted quota?

:grin:

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Although nobody here will admit to doing it, you sure hear a lot of talk when you are out on the river about shooting sea lions. I know it used to be pretty common years ago but it's a real gamble now with the stiff fines.

This is also a topic where you will see sportfishermen being selfish with the "its my fish" argument. Same position sports take with gillnetters, the tribes, etc. However, to date, I've never seen an argument on here about how sea lions should all be killed because sportfishermen provide the largest economic benefit. :grin:

1 - 20 of 66 Posts