IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sitting on anchor in SD bay, can’t sleep and offload in a couple hours so thought I would give a report. We started at “the ridge” which is approximately off of Mag Bay for day 1. To say it was a wide open yellowtail bite was an understatement. You could fish bait, surface irons, dropper loop it didn’t matter as it was hit within seconds.

From there we headed west 120 miles to Alijos rocks to try for tuna and wahoo. We started the day picking small YFT and moved around a bit. I really wanted a wahoo to no avail but one guy landed a YT pushing 80 lbs. Largest I’ve ever seen by far. We ended the day on a wide open tuna bite with a better grade and managed to land a few wahoo for the boat in the process.

Day 3 I was determined to get a hoo for the bucket list, when the troll rods came into anchor I slid out a wahoo bomb on my light gear. Bang….I had a hoo on. I did this 3 more times before other folks started to catch on. In total I hooked 6 hoo’s landed 4 and handed off one other. We continued the day whacking multiple species of fish.

Day 4 was a transition day moving back up the hill. I decided not to fish yesterday as it was a rockfish game and I have enough of those, in total we landed over 800 fish counting YFT, YT, Wahoo, Grouper and various other bottom dwellers.

Now it’s time to come home and recoup a bit before doing some elk hunting next week with the kids. I love this time of year.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Great report! I have been to all those places so it was like walking down memory lane! The Ridge can be such an amazing place when the fish arrive!

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
I think Alihos has the biggest Yellowtail anywhere. Also where I got my 100# Yellowfin. Amazing place to see a couple big rocks sticking out of the ocean a 125 miles offshore.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts