IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone glue the screws in that hold the hooks on small flatfish?
After catching a steelhead saturday I noticed that hook was ready to fall off the F7

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Yes! Back the screw out. Open up the eye and insert a small barrel swivel. Close the eye. Put a dab of super glue on the threads of the screw and carefully turn it back in to the proper position. Now get a Gami size 1 single siwash and place on the dangling swivel. Super outfit. Solid hookups. Easy releases. No screw eyes coming out. No fish twisting of of a stationary hook.

....it's the only way I fish!

Good Luck

·
Registered
755 Posts
Great timing on this subject.

U-20 Belly hook came off on A bullet Saturday. It backed out a couple turns and exposed a gap in the eye that screws into the plug. Just enough for a split ring to escape and fish was gone.

Your fix sounds good for this!

Thanks!

SG

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
i tried the swivel on a flatfish today and missed 2 bites with the swivel so i changed it back to its normal setup......but i too have had a fish twist the back eye all the way out.....

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Sure ....you'll still miss some fish from time to time. But over all, I truly believe dropping that single siwash back a ways on a swivel will significantly increase your catch rate and make releasing less damaging to the fish. The size 1 siwash is deadly on the x-4 and the x-5 also.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
so what kind of glue should 1 use? :shrug: also is this setup for both hooks or just 1 hook?

[ 07-15-2003, 06:44 AM: Message edited by: husker ]

·
Registered
32 Posts
On your smaller flat fish like X-4's for Summer Steelhead.I back the small eye screw out and put one drop of super glue in and then put the eye screw back in. It holds up well and you wont loose any fish.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
If you don't have any super glue, I've used marine silicone without having one come unscrewed. I just open up the tube, dip the screw threads in the silicone and then screw it into the kwikfish.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts