IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need help locating plastic coated screen for drying salmon eggs. Need 3/16" or 1/4" mesh, can't find a vendor.

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
I lay my eggs on wax paper with the glossy side down...works great and I just rotate them every 1/2 hr to hr depending on what you like.

·
Banned
37,111 Posts
Screen? We don't need no stinking screen! Go with the Amerman's cure and no screen drying is required. See the link at the bottom of the page.

Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I agree with crabbait if you plan on doing the bobber and egg thing in tidewater. The wetter the better in slow water. Let the eggs soak up the juice so that it will dissipate better in the water with all those good egg scents. Don't dry the eggs unless you are fishing in faster water.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Make yourself a little cardboard tray and you can use it over and over, even paper towels will work, just leave them in the strainer for a while before you lay them down. Do them the way you like them, I never wet cure and I dont have a problem, but try both and see what you like. :grin:

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
You can buy nylon window screen material - I've even used aluminum and I don't think it mattered scent wise.

[ 09-20-2003, 09:22 PM: Message edited by: fisheromen ]

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
you can get a roll of non metalic screening material at any hardware store. I got mine at Ace.... very inexpensive....

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
fisheromen and wetaline have it right. Home depot Lowes any self respecting hardware store. The stuff is nifty to have around the house for a variety of uses.Just ask for screen door screen material also goes by the moniker hardware screen.Lay down some folded newspaper, the screen on top and your set.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
My recommendation is cure your eggs wet and dry them individually by the jar as needed. If you are planning to bobber fish or backbounce....wetter is better.

John

·
Registered
734 Posts
I use a rubbermaid dish drying rack. It is pretty good sized mesh, but works well for me, and to wash it, you just throw it in the dishwasher.

Aaron

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
I used a plastic mesh panel I found at a floral and craft store in oregon city shopping center. I think it is intended for use with needlepoint. It is about 12"x14" and has about 1/8" squared holes. I built a frame from 1x1's and staple the mesh panel to the frame. A little screwin' around but it works great and there is no metal. Works good for me.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Call your local nursery supply outfit and get a few nursery trays. that is what I have used for years. They are cheap and easy to clean up. Still recommend wetpacking them and drying them as needed.

John

·
Registered
270 Posts
I was wondering how come the wetter the better, maybe I dont use wet pac enough, do you have any ideas why it may work better, or just personal preference.

·
Registered
734 Posts
On the dishwasher thing......

I'm just recently married, but I wait till she's gone for an evening, and then the egg racks get washed :grin:

She'd just cringe if she knew the stuff that went through that dishwasher :shocked:

When I was single the only thing I ever used the dishwasher for was washing egg racks and my traps when trapping. I never dirtied enough dishes to warrent loading and unloading the stupid thing.

Aaron

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
I use Depend Liners. These are like disposable Depends diapers, but are rectangular for "accidents" under someone sitting, like in a wheelchair. They are very absorbent and work great for drying eggs. They sell all kinds of brands at Walmart. Regular Depends work great too. I've got some on them now in my bait fridge. I'm trying to firm up some frozen salmon eggs that were given to me uncured that I've thawed and cured in Amerman's. We'll see how they turn out tomorrow.

Seriously, this is no joke, I really use these for salmon eggs. Then clean up is a matter of removing your eggs, and fold up the diaper, and throw it in the trash. (Or I freeze in a plastic bag until trash pickup day to keep out the cats). No mess, no fuss, no borax spill, no salmon juice spill. The juice is all aborbed into the diaper.

SKP

·
Registered
524 Posts
I use the coke and pepsi plastic containers with the mesh style bottom that you'll find in different locations behind convience stores.What's killer about these is they are very stout,and you can stack them to save room,they hose off easily.I line them with paper towels.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE

·
Registered
95 Posts
I just had to comment on the dishwasher thing...after I laughed a while....My dishwasher gets just about everything stuck in it. Egg cure racks, bowls, all sorts of other odd fishing related items. I have even thrown in a container that had UB in it...Personally, I would rather have that stuff in there than a container that had raw chicken in it. I did make a stand on bait in the house fridge though. Made the man get a fridge for the eggs, scents, fish, and all the other 'odd things.' Never really bothered me too much but my mother about had a coronary after one visit.
J

·
Registered
7,851 Posts
Weeler Dealer...there are many many egg cures. including several good commercial cures like Ammerman's. Do a search. You'll find a wealth of information

1 - 20 of 21 Posts