IFish.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oregonmuley and I were over a mile above the trail at 8300ft working our way toward a saddle that looks into a deep basin when a cow came trotting through and met us head on. When we got to the saddle we glassed for a while and about 25 elk started making all kinds of noise clear in the bottom of the basin. Most of the cows had calves and some had twins. You could really tell that some were early and good size and a few were a little later and smaller, but all of them were running around chasing and mewing. We watched them all wade in the lake and paw the water wetting themselves down. It was like looking through a window into a different world, really hard to explain unless you were there.The closest trail to the bottom of the basin where they were is about 2 rugged miles of straight up and down from any direction. We glassed up two different spots down on wet meadow benches that looked like rutting wallows that had been used hard over the years. There is probably a bruiser bull waiting to move back in there to reclaim his harem. The picture only shows about half of the herd. The other ones were still in the timber and hadn't filed out into the meadow. Not much in the way of buck sightings. We saw a few deer, but it was really hot by 9am and we were never in the optimum spots for glassing at daylight. It starts getting light up there at 4am. We checked out quite a bit of country and found one awesome, out of the way basin that we will hunt. It is about a mile above the trail at 8000ft and looks really promising. Now its just a waiting game. We cannot wait to get back there. Even with a little treatment the water coming out of those glaciers tastes pretty darn good. Check out the scars on that big doe.......I think she might have had a close call with a Lion.

Here are a few pics......

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Very cool pics. Thanks for sharing them. Those are some interesting scars on the doe, I bet you are right about the cat.

CH

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Great Pics. I love that alpine landscape...

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Glad to hear you got a scouting trip into the high country. It is hard to leave eh! I've never been into that part of Oregon. I like your style man:cheers:. Any fish up there to catch?

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Nothing like the Eagle Cap wilderness - and yes it is hard to come back to work! Me and Limbhanger didn't bring our fishing stuff, wish I had though because the lakes we camped by seemed to have fish in them, they were jumping like crazy right at dark.
It going to be a heck of a fun hunt!!!!

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Cool report. I can see why your psyched. Do you have horses for hauling out the meat or are you hiring a packer? Which one? I met a cool horse packer up there backpacking one summer. He shared some cool elk insight.

Good Luck,

Mark

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do believe we are the meat haulers. We were trying, but the only guy that has responded is a little too expensive for hauling out a deer. We'll just man up and Git R Done !!

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Looks like its going to be a great hunt...Now hurry up and get those mulie deer killed and get back to hunt'n REAL deer..:D:D:D

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
Looks like its going to be a great hunt...Now hurry up and get those mulie deer killed and get back to hunt'n REAL deer..:D:D:D
Great pics. yeh that doe looks like she dodged a close one.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We'll give it heck! I will have to live the REAL deer hunting behind the camera this year. Dont miss!!:laugh:

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
looks like Gods Country! Thanks for sharing, those are some really nice pictures! :applause:

From the land of Big Sticks,

Osulogger

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Nice report and pics. There are so many places in this state it would be great to hunt, and so little time. That's gonna be a fun hunt. :cheers:

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Those are some fantastic pictures !!! The caps is a beautiful place.....:applause:

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
Nice pics Brudda! Hope you boys have a great hunt and find some Mossybacks!

See any goats or sheep?

·
Banned
912 Posts
those pics bring back some good memories!! there sure is some giant bulls and bucks in that area(cats to) cant wait to go back...to me that place is like a peace of heaven on earth, enjoy your trip.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts