IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am giving serious thought to purchasing an ELECTRIC downrigger for my Alumaweld Formula Vee.

Does anyone have any strong feelings one way or another about Scotty vs. Cannon?

I looked at both, they retail for about $400.00, but I really do not know the pros and cons of each. The salesman at Fisherman's really pushed the Scotty even though they were slightly less expensive than the Cannon.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rusty

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have one of each. If I were to buy another it would be a Scotty. Their guarentee is absolute lifetime. I capsized a few years ago, and it only need the plug socket in the boat replaced, as the unit was fine. Had one other issue with the counter, and it was replaced. Call Ollie Damon in Portland to get the repair records. Good luck.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Have not tried mine with the boat upside down....They seem to work pretty good right side up.

Cannon hooked to the Bottom line 6500...TOTAL control!!

SG

3,877 Posts
I have 2 electric Scotty's.

Love them
for Ocean Salmon & High Lake Kokanee & Mackanaw trolling. :dance: :dance: :dance:

Enjoy them, It is so nice to fight a fish without all the hardware.

Good Luck.

KHH

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Scotty all the way.

Faster line retrieve, hold more line, and about $150 cheaper on comparable models. Plus, unconditional lifetime warranty if you can somehow hurt them??? They also have better mounts and more options for swivels and rail mounts. Go for it!!! I have the 1099's and modified the rail mounts. This way I didn't have to drill holes in the boat. :shocked:

Green Machine

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
I've got 2 Scotty electrics - installed them last summer. Love them, but haven't used them much. Haven't owned the Canon's so can't comment - just heard really good things about the Scotty's so I bought those.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Scotty's without a doubt, and you can order them from Tyee Marine with the 30" boom for $333.00 or the 60" Telescoping boom for $352.00! You can check them out at tyeemarine.com thye had the best prices I was able to find, with great customer service as well.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
SCOTTY!!!

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to everyone for your comments on downriggers. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out by your stories that Scotty is the way to go!!

8 out of 8 were wildly enthusiasic about Scotty. I will be purchasing one as soon as I return from Alaska in about two weeks!

One last request. Which model of Electric Scottys would be the best? I think they offer 2 or 3.

Thanks for your help,

Rusty

·
Registered
147 Posts
About the only difference between the models is the length of the boom. The one you choose has to do with where you want to mount them and what type of engine/transom arrangement you have. I like a short boom Scotty mounted forward on the gunnels so when I turn I don't have any chance of the wire or my line getting tangled with the prop. Others like a long boom mounted at the back corners that reach out over the drives.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I don't know what model it is but I have an lower end Scotty electric that retrieves on the electric motor, but it is a manual brake to lower the line. I really enjoy the auto retrieve feature and it is fairly fast, but my next one will have the ability to lower and retrieve with the electric motor. Lowering with the hand "brake" is a pain and a lot of times it gets tangled up.

I have both the Scotty and Cannon and prefer the Scotty.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a Scotty 1106, have had some problems with the brake on it. Went through three last year. They were all replaced quickly and efficiently by Scotty. This year brakes went out again and so I have sent it to Ollie Damon in Portland. If I have any more trouble Scotty told me they would replace it with a new one. When it works it is great, I am only using a 10lb ball, so that should not be overstressing the brakes. But I bought another 1106 anyway, because of their excellent service.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
i have the scotty electics and had the same problem with the brake until i figured out what was causing it, while i was running i had both the downriggers set with the booms pointed into the boat and it was exposing the starboard downriggers brake to salt spray, the salt was forming a film on the metal plate and not letting the magnets engage the brake, i took some light sandpaper and cleaned the plate up so the magnets would move the plate and engage the brake, now when i run both of them are pointed to the rear of the boat, have never had a problem with them again.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Also a Scotty owner and lover. Had Motion Marine work up a couple of mounts for my gunnels. This is very handy. Basically a diamond plate base that is bent/welded to exactly fit the gunnel width. The matching piece mounts to the bottom of the downrigger. This piece has a "male" tube that mates with a female tube on the base. You do have to drill a hole in your gunnel for this (not counting the ss mounting hardware holes). Anyway, the DR mounts in seconds and is very stable. The diamond plate serves as a great stepping spot when getting in and out of the boat. This is the standard DR mount for Motion Marine boats, although, the latest ones I've seen are done without the diamond plate. I prefer the diamond plate. I have a 91 Custom Weld.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I have limited experience with downriggers on my boats, but I've used lots of 'em on friends boats.....and Scotty's are the preferred brand.

When I bought the new boat last year, I got a Scotty 1116 Electric with the 60" boom. It's plenty easy..... I have nothing but Great things to say about Scotty's.... And the electric is SOOOOO nice.... takes all the work out of retrieving that 12lb. ball....

And fightin' kokes on ultralight tackle without all that hardware attached is a true pleasure....

Just my .02.... Tim :smile:

·
Registered
550 Posts
One more vote for the Scotty. To be totally honest, I picked them out because they look nicer on my boat.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts