IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an outboard motor for sale last year, I must still have an add floating around the internet somewhere because I have received a couple versions of the email below in the last month. I seriously hope people dont fall prey to this obvious scam. At least this last time I get $50 more than the last offer :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I hope they are not trying to target fishermen/boaters.

Good Day,
> My name is James Mark,i am from the united state of america i buy all kinds of goods for my client who come from different parts of the world.I have many shipping companies in some west africa countries.
> There is a client of mine who is willing to buy your 1982 honda 10 hp which i saw on your website and i happened to find out that the cost of the 1982 honda 10 hp was $750 so i informed my client about the cost of the 1982 honda 10 hp but he said there is no problem with the cost.
> My client said i should tell you that he will be issuing you a united state certified cashier check of $6050 while you wire to me $5000 through western union money tranfer point which i will use in paying the shippers that will come to your location for the pick up of the 1982 honda 10 hp immediately the check has been cashed at any cashing store centre in your location.And he is also giving you a compensation amount of $300 for the effort it will cost you in doing all this processing PLUS the cost of your 1982 honda 10 hp $750 making a total sum of $1050 for your all.So you will be expecting a certified cashier check of $6050 while you wire to me $5000 through western union money tranfer point for paying the shippers and you keep the remaining $1050 for the cost of your 1982 honda 10 hp and for the compensation of your effort in doing all this.
> So if you agree to all this terms and agreement let me have your full contact information to where my client will be sending the check to like this:
> NAME...........
> FULL ADDRESS.........
> CITY............
> STATE.........
> COUNTRY..........
> ZIPCODE........
> CELL/OFFICE/HOME PHONE NUMBER..........
> Alongside with the picture of the 1982 honda 10 hp if available.
> Looking forward to your respond,
> Best Regards,
> James Mark.....

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
James Mark huh? Looks like he's James and your the Mark! :mad:

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
BOE,

I got one and posted it in LIG not too long ago. It was on a boat I sold over a year ago.

Thanks for sharing this!

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
I'd send all info to the attorney general and maybe see if one of the news affiliates are interested in doing a piece on this scam. :whazzup: unfortunately..this scam is out there because people have fallen for it. :hoboy: Anychance you can track down the ip address?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Last week I got a similiar scam on an incubator I had for sale, but with a slight twist. Here are 2 emails I got from the person:

1st email:

hello lary, thank for the mail, i live in detroit although i will be leaving for london tomorrow, i have seen the feature of the incubator and i think it is lovely one my wife had to come over see the pic herself cause i am actually buying it for her anyway i will buy it, but i will need to know your last offering price along side with that i will need your full name andaddrss of where the check should be sent to with your phone no home and cell so i could get to talk to you personally. please mail me all the info i need at once cause i will like to have the incubator next week i will have my shipper come pick up so do not worry about shipping thanks a lot.

God bless.

david jones.

2nd email:
i just called you home no but i guess there was something wrong with the call thats why i called you with a relay call but i guess you did not really understand me, after i got you mail i called my personal assistant to give him you info so he can have the cehck sent to you before next week but he told me he will not be able to make a cashier check for $2199 cause he will not be able to go to my bank and sign on my behalf and since i will be travelling tomorrow morning i will not be able to do that either so what i will do is i will have him send you a cashier check of $7,820 that i made out earlier in the week for wages for my staff but i am doing this on trust so i will need your word here to do this and i will like you to have my balance money sent back to my personal assistant i will give you futher instructions on how to go about that when you recieve the check so please mail me so that i know you understand me perfectly thanks s lot i will ! get to call you back tomorrow morning befor i go to london. thanks.

God bless.

david jones.

I can't wait for the next email. I'm guessing that he will tell me that he mailed the check, and in spite of the fact that I don't have it yet, he can't make his payroll till I quickly send him the 5K.

Watch out! there are snakes in the grass...

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
If they really do send a cashiers check then I still don't get the scam part - if you are able to go cash the check and have $6050 in greenbacks in your hand and send him $5,000, where's the scam? Do they just get your information and then go steal the item? Is the cashiers check which they send forged or not drawn on real funds? If you get to keep the motor until you have the cash in your hand, I don't understand how this whole thing works - will someone help me? :shrug:

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
The scanm is that the cashier checks are bogus. There is also another one that they do with a wire transfer. Not sure how they fake that one yet...

·
Registered
954 Posts
Killertraylor:
"So you will be expecting a certified cashier check of $6050 while you wire to me $5000 through western union money tranfer point for paying the shippers and you keep the remaining $1050"

He expects you to send the $5000 first.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Wasn't it PT Barnum who said "There is a sucker born every minute" and I forget who said "A fool and his money are soon parted".

·
Registered
673 Posts
Sounds like some of the ebay scams I have heard about. One of the tragedies of doing cyber bussiness, anyone can get your email.
I think I have seen these guys out fishing in black leather sport coats and dress shoes, kinda looking like 70's throw backs.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Here is another one I heard of...This guy spots a BMW on E-BAY that should be $80,000 and it is $40,000 so he gets high bid and the seller is out of the country. So the seller talks the buyer into using an escrow company to hold the money till he gets the car..Sounds fair right? Well the scam is the seller set up the escrow company and as soon as you send the money it is gone. NO SUCH COMPANY JUST A FAKE TO GET YOU TO SEND THE MONEY TO

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Send the information to the ODOJ (Oregon Department of Justice) This is something that at least needs to be documented.

K9

·
Registered
17,011 Posts
So the "Nigerian Oil Scam" crew has diversified into sporting goods and incunbators - pretty clever.

Don't discount the number of gullible people who fall for this. The following is true:

Recently officials from a southern ORegon town were very nearly on a plane, before someone stopped them and explained the scam. They'd fallen for some version or another of this scam that promised them lots of easy money - which they were going to use to bail their town out of its fiscal crisis.

Had they gone to Nigeria, or wherever, there's a fair chance it would have been a one way trip - folks have been killed or kidnapped and held for ransom by these foreign criminals.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Originally posted by Gr8waves:
Wasn't it PT Barnum who said "There is a sucker born every minute" and I forget who said "A fool and his money are soon parted".
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Man, I always thoght that wa a fool and his money are soon a PARTY! :dance:

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Sounds like someone is dirty and need to do some laundering.

That is if the cashiers check isn't bad.

Scum of the earth.

·
Registered
325 Posts
These are called Advanced Fee Frauds, do a google for them, they're everywhere. Basically they want you to wire them money while they send you a cashiers check, which is fake. We had a few of these floating around inside our company email for a while. Hard to prosecute, most email address and IP addy's are spoofed (faked). Was your motor on eBay by chance?

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Gotcha - thanks guys. I didn't think anyone would be stupid enough to wire money until they had cash in hand - that's where I was getting hung up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts