IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you like salmon steaks? or fillets with the skin left on?
I like the bit of fat between the meat and the skin, and Ive heard this has a high concentration of protien and the "good" cholesterol. Either way, its very flavorful too. and for those who live by the BBQ like I do, it makes for a nice barrier between the fire and the fish on a fillet keeping it moist. Mark the skinned side for a minute on the grill or broiler, flip skin side down with a little nonstick spray or oil, cover with a pie tin...mmm merinates and glazes soak in gooood. No need to flip again! (Skin-on smoked fish is a bit more flavorful too)

So heres a simple tip to scale a fish quik and easy for those who have not discovered it. Use the garden hose! spray a stream oposite of the direction of the scales and they come clean off, simple, easy, FAST and no hasle picking scales off the meat, or out of your teeth later.

[ 07-13-2003, 10:45 AM: Message edited by: cirrhosis-of-the-river ]

·
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger
38,260 Posts
And it has the added advantage of making the yard all sparkly and shiny. Bet the neighbors are jealous. :grin: :wink:

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Yea, but them birds like them scales.

That's the way I do my salmon also Doug.

A lot of folks don't bother but I don't like putting my fish up with all that slime on them. Removes that also of course.

Dan

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Upgrade to the 3.5 gal per minute 3000 psi pressure wand with a needle tip ampersat.

The only thing I notice is if the fish isnt kept wet, they dont come off.. kinda seals them together? Maybe wrap them in a towel soaked with salt water for a bit might help, or just scale 'em the old fashoined way.

Its worthy to note that too much pressure will tear the flesh too. And theres a difference in flavor if the exposed flesh is allowed to soak in water. By all means, dont ruin the fish just to get the scales off.

·
Registered
7,300 Posts
Something that is equally quick is to use a steel bristled brush. I can scale a fish in less than 30 second (belly, back and sides). Then I use the water pressure to knock off any remaining scales.

To be honest I've never really been bothered by a few scales here and there....all protein to me. :tongue:

·
Premium Member
14,395 Posts
a buddy of mine showed me that trick with a springer at his place. so, the next time i got a fish i tried it at my place. it was a not-so-bright steelhead and the scales stayed on no matter how hard i tried. does it only work with fresher fish or not on steelhead? do i not have enough water pressure?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts