IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
7,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The House and Senate conferees on the Energy & Water Appropriations bill
for '04 completed their work late last Thursday night. The offical conference report was filed early
a.m. Monday, and a provision was included on Savage Rapids Dam (SRD). The SRD provision is Sec.220,
attached. The bill is H.R.2754 and the Conference Report is: H.Rpt.
108-357. This provision gives the Bureau of Reclamation the needed authority to implement the "Pumping /Dam Removal Plan" defined in the 2001 Consent Decree. We no longer need a separate bill as this provision in the Energy and Water Bill has the same legal effect.

The House may consider the Energy and Water bill on the floor this Thursday, but there
is a chance that the House leadership is going to cancel all votes for
the week. In that case, both the House and Senate will consider the
bill next week. Conference reports are not amendable in either the
House or Senate so there is nothing that can happen to remove our
provision absent some huge fight on a larger policy issue that would end
up having someone make a motion to reject the conference report and send
it back to committee. Right now no one is expecting that to happen.

The SRD provision is written so that it becomes permanent law. Once the
President signs the bill it will be just the same as if our separate bill, S.1308 had been signed into
law itself.

No funds were provided for the project which is of course disappointing,
but both Senators Wyden and Smith and their staffs worked this issue extremely hard, and
Cong. Walden also supported the effort but the lead was taken by
the Senate. Considering the fact that this provision is considered a
"new start" (none were included in the President's budget), and the fact
that it was not in either the House or Senate bill, means that Senators
Wyden and Smith did extremely heavy lifting to try to at least get this
part of the congressional stamp of approval done. Letters of thanks and
appreciation would be a good idea.

There is still alot of work to do to get funds allocated to installl the pumps and then remove the dam, but with the authorities granted in the bill this becomes possible and easier to accomplish.

Thanks for all your support and asssistance.

·
Registered
19,910 Posts
Straydog,this whole affair seems like a bad dream in slow motion. Will we ever see justice served? This whole thing leaves one with a very bad after taste. And I think a very well done is in order for Sen. Brady Adams,thanks for mucking up the works on this one.

Free

·
Registered
13,597 Posts
Ahhhh, the world of unfunded federal projects, ain't it wonderful? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Wonder who's budget they'll raid to get this VERY important work done? Note: I am not being sarcastic!!

TR

·
Banned
7,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by TheRogue:
Ahhhh, the world of unfunded federal projects, ain't it wonderful? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Wonder who's budget they'll raid to get this VERY important work done? Note: I am not being sarcastic!!

TR
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Great question, TR!!

Some day I would like to write a book about this whole ordeal but no one would believe it!!

As Freespool mentioned, had it not been for some key (wealthy) individuals getting Brady Adam's support back in the early 90's, this would have been done by now. I almost think Brady feels guilty as he is currently pouring thousands and thousands of dollars into cool community projects.

At any rate, at last guess, it looked as if they were looking at funding through the Corp of Engineers. Seems they have mitigation money left on the table and hopefully we can get our hands on it. The manager of the GPID is in DC as I type with the GPID lobbyist working on this very issue.

As noted in the release posted above, letters, emails or faxes of "Thanks!!" to Smith, Wyden and Walden sure could not hurt. Believe it or not, there is still a very small but vocal splinter group trying to fight this. I got ragged on just this Monday in town for still trying to get this project done. Some people still won't believe that we don't want to shut them off of their water,(thank you Buchal :mad: ) we just want them to deliver it in a reasonable manner. I had to bite what little tongue I have left when this individual on Monday said "Well, I will just come look you up when my lawn goes dry!!" At least this person admited he doesn't use the irrigation for ag............ he and the majority of the district patrons...... :hoboy:

·
Registered
17,013 Posts
Thanks S'dog for keeping us informed. It certainly has been a long tortoruous trip but well worth it to help restore the Rogues salmon.

BTW, rumor has it that you may be in PDX for the weekend's NSIA event, any truth to that?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts