IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My question is are bait sardines mushie or are they firm, I bought 3 packs of them at G.I.Joes last week and they were so mushie you could hardly get a peice to wrap on a Kwik fish with out them falling apart. :mad:
How are those filet's that are vavume packed.

DAB

·
Registered
10 Posts
Don't throw them way... Open all the packages and pack them with salt. Then freeze them. The salt will remove alot of the moisture making them mushie and they firm right up. It works really well... About the only thing I know about bait that works.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Sounds like they thawed out and they refroze them. Turns the meat really mushy. I got 30lbs of food quality sardines from a seafood outlet. They are smaller and are in great shape. Much cheaper too!

Fool

·
Registered
10,558 Posts
Uwajimaya usually has really good ones. Salting them will definitely firm them up.

I get mine, fillet them, and then brine them. Firms them up, and the fish seem to really like the salt.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Anytime you use vacuum packed bait poke a hole in the bag before you thaw them out for use. It makes a big difference.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I also got some from the G.I. Joe's up in my area that were more mush than anything.I talk to the people that order the bait and said this is a wide spread problem :shocked:

·
Registered
10,558 Posts
Drift boat, see my previous post. There are a bunch of different places around Seattle that have great sardines. GI Joes is not on that list. They are my bait store of last resort.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts