IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to summer chinook fishing ( fished mostly summer steelhead in the past) I am unfamiliar with the etiquette of pound test up on the Santiam's, especially the more crowded areas (M.C.). I have fished fall tidewater and use 30# mainline/25# leader. I always like to go as light as possible in the summer, but I understand that spending alot of time getting a fish in can make people very angry!!
I am currently running a float rod for steelies with 35# tuff and 10# leader.....
and 12#/10# mono drift rod
Thanks for the help

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Those are plenty strong. In fact, lots of times even in the crowds I will go down to 8/6, you can usually pull the fish downriver so the mob can conrinue fishing.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Ifish the santiam 1-2 days a week and only run 10 main, 10 leader with #2 owners, m. ultra green. i have landed between 30-40 so far this season. i have lost a fair amount to but with a good quality rod and reel and quality tackle you can be very productive without horsing them in! its also fun that way, another tip is you dont have to fish around all the crowds to catch alot of fish!!! good luck, go light.

·
Registered
16,596 Posts
While the chinnoks are around I use 12lb mainline, 10lb leader. Later on when it's mostly summers I go with 12lb mainline, 8lb (maybe 6lb) leader.

JK

1 - 6 of 6 Posts