IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished all day from Jeff to I-5 bridge with not so much as a bump. Has anyone else been doing any good in that stretch? Saw some fish jump under the bluff below Jefferson but no takers. Also saw a deer swimming across the river, pretty cool but would rather have fish. Ran diver and bait most of the time but also tried bobber and eggs. Is the bite that bad or is it just me?

·
Registered
837 Posts
Fished from Greens Bridge to Jefferson with the same results today. There was a lot of water, difficult for the anchor to hold even in the seemingly calmer water. Used divers and shrimp, no bumps. Talked with others, looked flat today, not much action. I think one boat that I think was a guide boat, first turn below greens bridge, said they had one. That was the most action today. I really haven't had enough time this year to work at the fishing like I would like to. Those who put their time in, are going to do better, I just need to put some more time on the water.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
captn, I had the same problem holding anchor. Used my river anchor which normally holds quite well but kept slipping down stream. I caught a steelhead last monday but that has been the extent of my fish catching this year on the Santiam.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
You guys will have a better chance of getting into fish if you don't use your anchors. Use your kickers and back troll through the holes. If you don't get bit on the first time through, move on and fish different water. Beating up a great hole with no fish in it is a waste of time and your time would be better spent fishing a lesser hole with fish in it. Springers tend to be agressive so if one doesn't get bit right away, generally it isn't going to happen. Hope this helps. Grant

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
I have to agree with Grant and Dave to a point. If you aren't getting bit fairly quickly in a hole its time to move. If, however, you have a hole full of fish it can work to your advantage to wait it out. I used to do quite well in the schoolbus hole on the North Santiam sitting on the hook. Generally I knew pretty quick if there were any fish around and that would determine whether or not I would wait them out or move on looking for biters.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Grant and Dave, I Just meant that the couple times I dropped anchor to lower the camera or Bobber and egg fish I was having trouble holding.
Thanks for the advice though I would really love to get myself and kid into a springer before there gone for the year.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
I have never fished the Santiam, tho my work takes me over Greens Bridge and Jefferson at least once a week and lately I have seen lots of folks there. Are there any bank fishing opportunities for Springers or is it strictly a boat affair??

·
Registered
837 Posts
As far as I can tell, the bank fishing is pretty limited in the Greens Bridge to Jefferson run. As I think back to my whole experience with the N. Santiam I think bank access is pretty limited.

Thanks for the note Grant and Dave. I was rowing my son and grandsons, and I needed a break with the anchor. I will take the sled next time and back troll, or depending on the water, the DB with the kicker. Time is wasting, lets get fishin.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Fished all day, three rods working, moved from Greens Bridge to the mouth, worked several holes and slots, using all methods, without so much as a drive-by. Water at 49 degrees. Just about perfect conditions. NADA

1 - 10 of 10 Posts