IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I took my first 14lb. springer April 16 and then a second one April 26 that was 18.2lbs.I have fished the Santiam exclusivly for springers for about 17 years now and it generally takes them 5 to 7 days to reach the Santiam under normal water flow, when it is high I know they get here in 3 Days. With the counts up they should start showing anytime now, but I check everyday and have not seen a confirmed springer as of yet. This time of year alot of people jump to the generalization that they hooked and lost a springer or released a non clipped one, mistaking some of the large native steelhead for springers. This time of year some big steelhead show up around the Santiam often pushing 15 to 20 pounds, last year a few people got nabbed by the game warden for bonking these native steelhead mistaking them for Chinook.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Hey don't you have to release all non clipped springers too??
Or am I just a dunce and letting go fish that I can eat?

Tim

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
The way I read the regs, you can't keep any salmon or steelhead in the Willamette zone that isn't clipped.

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
yes skeezer, you would normally think so but I hate to give reg. advice without actually reading them myself :wink:

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Ok, I'd like to hear of the first 2003 springer to be caught on the Santiam, North Santiam, or South Santiam. Location is not important, except for in the Santiam system. No, you don't need to give away your secret spot. If you have caught one this year, or you are the lucky one to catch an early one, please post.

I'm curious how long it takes them to get from the Willamette Falls into the Santiam system and when they start to get caught.

Also, if you have caught an early one in year's past, please make a post of the date.

The earliest I've caught one was May 2.

SKP

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes that is correct no unfinclipped fish may be kept on the Santiam. I was just stating that in the past few years (since the regulation change) people have made the mistake of claiming they landed a Chinook when in fact it was a steelhead. I did not mean for it to sound as though people were catching and keeping unfinclipped fish. Sorry if I gave the impression that I was actually keeping unclipped fish. As far as the people who got nabbed well I would assume that they got it because the killed a unclipped fish. I heard the excuse from one guy who obviously did not read the regs and thought he could keep a unclipped springer so he bonked it and as it turns out it was actually a unclipped winter fish and it turns out he was wrong both ways and had to deal with the problem.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I think you can keep any springer clipped or no out of the S Santiam. I've also been told that the first springers over the Falls tend to go up the Molalla. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Here are the regs, straight from the ODFW web page...It would be good to also check the May update when it comes out.

Species Name
Salmon and In the aggregate, 2 adult salmon or steelhead per day, 5 jack salmon per day, 2 daily jack salmon limits in possession.

Catch Limits Length Limits and Other Specifications
• NOTE: Changes to salmon regulations for the Columbia River Steelhead system including changes to the Willamette River system are printed in May and are available at ODFW offices or from license agents. Check for new regulations before you fish.
• Harvest of nonadipose fin-clipped salmon or steelhead is prohibited in the Willamette Zone. There is no annual limit on adipose fin-clipped salmon or steelhead as long as the appropriate number of Hatchery Harvest Tags have been purchased to record the catch.
• Angling restricted to artificial flies and lures in streams. See exceptions under Special Regulations where use of bait is allowed.

Season
Closed in all waters unless noted by species under Special Regulations.

Santiam River (Marion Co.):
1. Mainstem
• Open for adipose fin-clipped steelhead entire year.
• Open for adipose fin-clipped chinook salmon Jan. 1-Aug. 15 and Nov. 1-Dec. 31.
• Use of bait allowed.

2. Little North Fork
• Use of bait allowed.

3. North Fork up to Big Cliff Dam
• Open for adipose fin-clipped chinook salmon Jan. 1-Aug. 15 and Nov. 1-Dec. 31.
• Closed:
a. from the railroad bridge upstream to the falls located upstream from the highway bridge
in Mill City,
b. from the markers at Packsaddle Park upstream to 400 feet upstream from the
dam and fish trap which is located near Niagara, and
c. within Stayton Power Canal.
• Use of bait allowed.

4. North Fork and tributaries
• Open April 26-Oct. 31; 5 trout per day, 8-inch minimum length, use of bait allowed.
upstream of Big Cliff Reservoir,
• No limit on size or number of brook trout taken. Catch limits for other trout species
including Breitenbush River do not apply to brook trout.
• Big Cliff Reservoir is the area between Big Cliff Dam and Detroit Dam.

5. South Fork up to Foster Dam
• Closed from Foster Dam downstream about 1/4 mile to ODFW markers.
• Use of bait allowed.

6. Middle Fork and tributaries
• Open April 26-Oct. 31; 5 trout per day, 8-inch minimum length, use of bait allowed.
upstream of Green Peter Reservoir,
• No limit on size or number of brook trout taken. Catch limits for other trout species
including Quartzville Creek do not apply to brook trout.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">

1 - 11 of 11 Posts