IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Nice fish! :cheers:

Mr.Carp, Im sure that fish was just fine. Most springers can get pretty dark and in the river a long time before their meat turns white. My dad caught one a few years back on the North Santiam that was almost black but it had as red of meat as a coast springer. I was shocked to say the least but springers are nothing like most fall fish that the meat turn as the fish get a little color.

Jon :smile: :grin: :smile:

[ 07-01-2003, 11:08 PM: Message edited by: MasterCaster ]

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I have never kept a sorehead and dont see any reason to. However that #30 hen I just caught on the coast was mint bright but yet her meat was a little pale <nothing wrong with it still nice and orange> compared to the buck my father landed on the Santiam that was almost black it was so dark. If the fish looks ok other than color most of them will be just that OK. Remember also that a buck that in is the same shape as a hen in the same place will most of the time be better meated. I have seen spawned out springers that the birds have been eating where the meat still had color and wasnt white.

Ill agree that most darker fish will not be the same as chromers but most will still be OK for eating. To each his own as long as they dont go to waiste.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I have actually seen them multiple times on diffrent rivers. I usually see them in August when I start fishing for fall fish and do some summer steallhead fishing in the upper rivers.<like stoping at the bridge at 3 rivers on the way home from the coast just to look around> Dont get me wrong I havent seen a whole lot of them but probly 5 or 6 in the past couple years. All of the spawned out fish that Ive seen to have a little color still in their meat have been bucks. These fish were in bad enough condition that there is no way I would have kept them if I had caught them. My point is Springers are nothing like most fall fish that lose quality soon after they hit fresh water.

[ 07-04-2003, 09:13 AM: Message edited by: MasterCaster ]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.