IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This time of year there is no place I would rather fish than the Santiam. Both the North and the South are excellent rivers. I was hoping that fellow drifters would be willing to share their success stories and techniques for this river on an ongoing basis. I'm new to ifish.net but I am not new to fishing the Santiam and would be glad to share. Here is the first bit of info:

The North Santiam from Mehama to Stayton (5/11/03)
The upper stretch of the river seems to only hold steelhead at the monment. The technique I have found most sucessful at this time is to use a bobber and jig. I pull over to the side of the river, where the water runs 3-5 feet and the current is semi-slow(you'll have to llok for these places, they are right on the bank) and let the jig run from my boat downstream 75-150 feet.Pink and white jig worked the best for me.Just run you jig down the side of the bank several times and before you know it the bobber will go down.

If other people are interested in this type of info and are willing to share, I will continue to do so as well. :cool:

[ 05-16-2003, 08:39 AM: Message edited by: Santiamfan ]

·
Banned
2,392 Posts
I'm definitely willing to share everything. Unfortunately, I have very little to share as the N. Santiam has left me skunked the past few times I've fished it. We've thrown everything at them, bobber/jig, corky/yarn, eggs......you name it. I'm definitely not a great steelhead fisherman, but I have put a few marks on the tag, just none from this river. From what I understand though the information you've given is very accurate. Bobber and jig seems to be the go to technique on this river from what I've been told. We normally do the Green's Bridge to Jefferson run, great steelhead water everywhere. Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
What's up, Miguel~ Thought that might be you. Are you going up tomorrow with Alex? I might be staying in town, i'm supposed to take this girl i know fishing..not sure if we'll be doing bass or salmon, she likes both...so it's her choice. Anyway, lets hit the river again soon.

Sublime
(Brian) :cheers:

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am going tomorrow. I am going to put in at jefferson and make my way upsteam. There are lots of salmon/steelhead in that area! I only have the last part of the day to fish but I will post a report tomorrow night! What happened to all the reprts from the Salem area Willamette fishers?

·
Registered
68 Posts
i will be running one of the santiams tomorrow not sure which yet and will post my report after
i have had luck on corky and eggs and plugs also, i still have yet to get a fish on bobber jig ..but will keep trying
hey sublime did you get home from school?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Santiamfan
I have been making the Fishermans Bend run to Mehama, and have had no luck. Tag-a-long have been having fun learning the river, but no fish yet.
Dom

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hey Santiamfan, or anybody else,

I got a few steelies on the GB to Jefferson float earlier in the year :tongue: , haven't had much time lately :depressed: .

I've only caught a couple of fish with Bobber & Jig, usually I'll drift. But my 9 year old son is beginning to fish with me routinely this year, and I have chosen this as an easier way for him to fish without snagging. He's got several bites, but the problem is that he's never connected. Some of course are the bottom or trout, but I know from the visual that he's had a few good steelie bites. My guess is that he's too slow, and maybe not strong enough to recover the slack well enough. Should I change my tactics to putting some eggs under bobbers, maybe they'll stay with it longer? Or is there a better way for a youngster?

Thanks for any tips. I want him to realize that those are some real fish out there, one of these jerks. :wink:

·
Registered
344 Posts
fishyone is the rod stiff (heavy action)? it should not take that much pull to set the hook , depending on the slack line of course ...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Fishyone,

You might try one of the new fast retrieve Okuma spinning reels. It makes it easier to get the belly out of the line so that the hook set is easier.

I got the Okuma Fina from Cabela's because I couldn't find it locally.

At first it had a minor rough spot on the retrieve every time the handle came around to the top -- but that went away after the first time I used it. :grin:

·
Registered
44 Posts
River & Skeezer,
He's using a medium rod, and the Amb anti-backlash reel.

With a bobber/jig, can I teach him to reel until its tight and then jerk? Or, is it necessary to get them quick?

We're going to try it again Saturday. :smile:

Thanks, fishyone

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fishyone-
I don't know if your already using it or not, but mucilen(spelling) is very helpful when using bobber and jig. It will keep your line floating completely on the top of the water. Even when you use floating line, from my experience, part of it will still sink. But if you wipe a small amount of mucilen up your line 40 feet or so you will notice the difference.

·
Registered
67 Posts
the drift from jefferson to the I-5 bridge has been very good and we have had good luck using the old diver and bait. I use the fifty foot one with eggs and a pink corky. we have done very good. try the island hole along the far right bank but i only use a 40 diver in that slot.

if you can get up to the confluence of both rivers and fish just above it on the north santiam it has been very good.

don't laugh but a worm with a black corky with green yarn and a touch of eggs will suprise you on your drift fishing

good luck hope to see you there soon

·
Registered
820 Posts
I got one steelie last week on a green plug on the South Santiam. Fished yesterday drifting corky and yarn....no luck for 3 hours work. Next week they make visit to my boat :rolleyes:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts