IFish.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a few methods for Santiam Springers and steelhead. I will probably be drifting with my girl friends dad mid-week. Most of my salmon experience is in Alaska on a river that was bait free. So any help is welcomed. Be as specific or vague as you please. Diver bait, plugs or drift gear?

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
For salmon...tray back-bouncing eggs (or eggs & sand shrimp). I also do well on salmon with a K-15 Kwikfish and sardine wrap. Depending on the depth and flow usually a weight from a dropper is necessary (anywhwere from 1-3 ozs.)

For steelhead use a smaller bait drift fished or fished from a diver. Smaller plugs like hotshots, wee-warts, Bagley's crawdad work well. You can also catch them with spoons and spinners. When the water warms up a bit, you can catch steelhead by fishing a fly in front of your driftboat (just like plugs are fished)

I think it pays to change up methods. If one thing doesn't work, try another

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Grantspastor, I appreciate the reply. This will be my first drift this year I hope it is a successful day and I can convince my captin into many other drifts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts