IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard of a few Silvers moving into the lower Sandy. Although with this new rain fall there has to be more fish in the river and less swimmers as well. Call Jack's Snack and Tackle they should know. let me know how you do. To bad they closed it to Chinooks............

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Im not sure its closed to Fall Chinooks...its just that they need to be fin clipped.. and Fall chinook aren't clipped.. Hmmmm!!

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
I was driving back from Herman creek last night during that down pour in Troutdale. River looked really skinny and milky

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Fished the river a little this am. Very murky about 8 inches vis. :sick:

Stopped by Ceder Creek fish hatchery and saw approx. 30 fish moving up the creek, all Steelhead, I didn't see any Coho yet....

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
prospect1999-I believe 2001 was the last year you could target the Sandy chinooks.Can't keep the jacks either.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thanks! for the info FastAction and letsfish,
Well I know the rules say you can keep fin clipped ones. I just didnt know that all fall Chinooks were not clipped..
So I learnd somthing new..

Thanks..

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
If I remember right the Sandy has spring chinook. Maybe they went to a fin clipped only to protect the wild springers that are attempting to spawn? I think you might be hard pressed to tell the difference between a springer and a tule or whatever they might have in there or at least it would be impossible for law enforcement to enforce a fin clipped springer regulation this time of year if the angler claimed his springer was a fall chinook?
:shrug:

A lot of folks would like to catch them (springers) for the eggs and that would be a bad thing to kill a wild springer this time of year under the guise that it is a fall nook.

Just a thought.

Dan

·
Banned
1,433 Posts
Learn the run timing, learn the water levels. :smile:

The Sandy River has been at it's normal low levels for this time of year around 7.3 or lower with cloudy conditions due to glacier melt. While Silvers will sneak up in these conditions, they will really move into the river when it comes up above 8.0 or so.

The river is currently at 8.03 because of the recent rain. If I was interested in catching some silvers over there, I'd be there at the crack of dawn throwing spinners behind rocks and typical holding water before the river drops again, which won't take long. Throwing the same spinners during the last couple hours of daylight can also be productive.

It doesn't matter if anybody else is catching anything - if you do your homework and time your trips you'll be the one who says you should have been here yesterday! :cool:

That's why I don't always like listening to other people's fishing reports - if you hear they're doing good you're probably too late. If you learn to go when you know the conditions are right you'll be the one keeping those hot fishing days to yourself until about a week later... :wink:

[ 09-09-2003, 06:20 AM: Message edited by: WheresMyBobber ]

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Learn to go when you know the conditions are right and you'll be the one keeping those hot fishing days to yourself until about a week later...
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">A week later...? You mean an hour later? Don't forget about all those cell phones out there these days. :grin:

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Has anyone heard on anything being caught on the Sandy? I want to go bank fishing. I know the river well, I just don't know if there is anything biting right now. Is there anything going on up around Cedar creek yet?

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I went down to L&C park this morning and tossed spinners for about an hour and a half before heading to work. Didn't manage to touch a fish, which isn't all that unusual for me. The water was murky, but I've done really well in May and June under similar water conditions. I don't know if the fall fish act differently than the spring/summer fish do in cloudy water, but they sure wern't cooperating with me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts