IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just like the skies this am, the Sandy is clouuuuuuuudy. Very little vis yesterday. We drove from L&C up to Dodge. Passed all the holes and it sounded like a few were caught in the early am but they stopped biting around 11am. We tossed spinners and eggs for a few hours at Dodge but the few rollers we saw weren't biting. Also saw some really dark Chinook.

Would love to hear if anyone else has found better luck this week.

WLW

·
Registered
334 Posts
we need a good rain. they'll bite when the river is dropping. after that rain a few weeks ago, we nailed them.

redneck

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
There are a lot of fish in the river and they are in good shape still and moving up consistently. Standing in a tail out I saw about a dozen come through in an hour this morning - and those were just those that I could see.

I picked up 2 this morning on #5 blue foxes in solid brass (before the sun was on the water) and solid silver (after the sun). Had several others on and several short strikes where the fish followed the spinner. Fish were caught about 8:00 am and 11:00 am.

Primarily fished tail outs and boulder strewn water in the Dodge park area. The fish that are more active and moving aren't necessarily in the deeper slots with the water being clouded up.

I think now is a good time to be fishing the Sandy but it might take a little luck and persistence.

Steve

·
Registered
554 Posts
No limits for me yesterday. But I can confirm with everyone else that there are fish all over and rolling/teasing us. Couldn't get any to bite and didn't see any catches at the Pipeline. I did manage to get lost in the hills following a trail that was off the beaten path. Had to bushwhack my way back to civilization. Took me 45 minutes to find my way. Lesson Learned: stay on the beaten path or bring a cell phone/GPS/compass with next time I fish by myself.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
A tip: Do not spend too much time casting to those rolling fish...if they dont hit, move on.
you are looking for agressive fish!

HC

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I agree, if you aren't sure of a really good well defined slot that fish will be moving through, don't waste your time in one spot. Cover a lot of water looking for biters with hardware and you will increase your chances.

·
Banned
2,392 Posts
Report for today: Totally different day than the past week. 1 buck on the bank in 2 hours of fishing. Tried everything I could think of. Will report back after deer hunting this weekend and next week.

·
Registered
46 Posts
:blush: Where is Sandy??? :whazzup:

Thanks....

·
Registered
301 Posts
Near Troutdale East of Portland about 15 to 20 miles and in Oregon.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
10/2 report:

Walked a good mile or so up into the Dodge Park stretches. Plenty of dark chinook but did not see one Coho. Water is very clear up there now but not down below by the bridge.

WLW

·
Premium Member
14,394 Posts
visibility was about the same as yesterday in the cedar area, which is to say poor, maybe 1 1/2' at most. however, the fishies didn't seem to mind. :grin:

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Eggs... Aren't they a little over rated.. :wink: I think what most should pay attention to is what you add to the eggs when you are on the river. It's extremely important for salmon and less for steelhead. There are some "sauces" you can mix up you could apply to any egg cure and catch fish.

Fall fish are the extreme when it comes to "saucing"... :grin:

Kentucky- You know quite a bit... Impressive. What do you know about scents?
Keith :tongue:

[ 10-03-2003, 10:04 PM: Message edited by: stlhdr1 ]

·
Registered
344 Posts
started fishing at 8 this morning in dabney park. a few fish rolling, but not much biting. most were chinook. saw two get snagged, not one caught legally. water is a nice milky green color. it is pretty cold, not too fun to go wading this morning. still cloudy out here, but no rainfall. i think i'll head back down to the river right now.........

·
Registered
882 Posts
I ventured up to the Sandy this morning and before 6am there were about 50 cars parked at Cedar ,complete madness, didnt even go down. Decided to go down around dodge not as many people but still a ton, had minimal success.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts