IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If fished the Sandy yesterday for Steel with no luck. First fished the Garbage Hole then several holes below Revenue Bridge. Saw a couple of salmon rolling below the bridge. Spoke with several people on the river and they were all having a slow day as well. Maybe it was the bouncing barometer.

·
Registered
891 Posts
That's been my experience this year on the Sandy. Fishing has been very slow, almost non-existent. It might be different if I had seen any salmon rolling/jumping, but I haven't. Not sure if they're very late or not showing up. The water temperatures are rising, which should push the fish upstream. But that won't make them any easier to find. Or catch.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The fish are up high. I fished Cedar Creek last Friday, my buddies and I hooked 10 and landed 6 steelhead. :dance: On Sunday the wife and I drifted Oxbow to Dabne and landed a 16lb springer. The fish hit her rod and after a 10 minute fight, she had her first springer ever. :dance: I went out yeasterday to Cedar Creek and hooked 3 and landed 2, the one that got away wrapped me around a tree :mad: These were also steelhead. The fish are in I saw about 6 springer packed out of there yeasterday. I had friends that fished the creek saturday and hooked 9 and landed 6.
Get there early and you'll have a good chance. I have had good luck with prawns, as well as pink and orange corkie and yarn. Good Luck, you don't really need it down there. I kind of feel like I am fishing at a trout farm when I am down there. But after fishing the lower river and getting skunked :shrug: on numerouse drifts. I needed some action what a better place then just below a hatchery. OOOHH I would post pictures (proof) but I am at work.

[ 05-29-2003, 05:03 PM: Message edited by: Teamfish ]

·
Registered
882 Posts
there are loads of fish in the Sandy, both steelhead and chinook. Cedar Creek is full of fish but it is also full of people limits are the rule using good bait. :smile:

·
Registered
27 Posts
i drifted from dabney to lewis & clark last night and had 2 takedowns with diver and bait but nothing stuck. the water is starting to get some color in the afternoons. the swimmers are in full force so you know the water is warming up. good luck!
jbug

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree that cedar creek is red hot. I was one of those guys there last Saturday and the fishing was early. I will be there Sunday. Shouldn't the fish be spreading out through the system or will we need to continue to bring our own rocks to stand on at the creek?

·
Banned
3,606 Posts
Teamfish, were people going down below the pipline hole? What were you using? Any steelies caught?

Dan(ger)

·
Registered
53 Posts
This stuff sucks and I am officially never looking at it again as of this moment. It does more harm than good. Oh, and moderaters.... Please don't delete my post. It was nice knowing some of you, the rest can go fish with the masses.

Ed

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Blue Lure Ed,

What is the problem?

·
Registered
882 Posts
Bring your own rock at Cedar or get there super early if you want first water, but it doesnt really matter I was catching fish right underneath people the fish were real aggressive. I fished yesterday evening until dark on the middle river and when I was walking in 3 guys were walking out with limits It was a bangin day! It sucks that there have been alot of fishermen on the Sandy this year but fish will still be caught if employ the proper techniques.

·
Premium Member
14,498 Posts
you know, i really hope that fishing on the sandy doesn't get reduced to this permanently. seems like nobody's getting fish anywhere else on the sandy but up at cedar creek. no doubt they're aggressive: they've got to be stacked in there like cordwood.

this is the first year of the new "cedar creek acclimated" run and if it's going to be like this i may never fish that river again. it's one thing to be up at rivermill fishing elbow to elbow, but at least it's bobber fishing up there. you don't get nearly the amount of tangles as you do with drift fishing.

just out of curiosity from those who've been up there: are folks crossing over to the other side of the meat hole there and trying to cast downstream? seems like every fall when i'm up there for silvers there's a half a dozen idiots over there making life hard for everyone. nothing like having a three way tangle in the middle of the river.

·
Registered
188 Posts
The fishing is hot at Cedar Creek because that is where they are planting them now. They used to go all the way up to Marmont Damn but won't any more. That really sucks as the ODFW gurus took about 10 miles of fishing water away from us when they started planting at Cedar Creek.

·
Premium Member
14,498 Posts
hopefully, once the dam is out, they'll rethink the decision to acclimate in cedar creek and maybe run a couple of pens in some of the upper tributaries. i would volunteer to help and i'm sure others would too. it's really a shame to have them pull out so low in the river and get stacked up in that hole. it's just not sporting. yeah, they taste just as good but do you get the same sense of accomplishment?

by the way, there are some strays in the areas above cedar. i don't know that they get as far up as the dam but they do get above revenue bridge. 100 fish in a hole with fifty guys or 4 fish in a hole all to yourself. you make the call.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
The whole idea of not planting up higher is to keep the hatchery from spawning with the natives above Marmot. I think we all know that. What I would like to see is them using net pens to acclimate in the lower river. Same goes for the Clack, especially for silvers. This would benefit natives and create more water to fish in the lower stretches.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
If you want more information on the Sandy River acclimation plan read the first article in STS this month. It is very informative.
Folks please realize that if they continued to acclimate at the Marmot pond site that the Northwest Steelheaders built then you would get fish straying up into the wild fish sanctuary above Marmot dam once the dam comes out in 2005.
I feel our best bet is to create another acclimation site on the Bull Run at the old powerhouse site. But that is just my opinion.

[ 06-01-2003, 11:54 AM: Message edited by: SandySteel ]

·
Registered
882 Posts
The fish may stack in at Cedar Creek but when I was talking the middle river it wasnt there. I know of numerous holes from Cedar down to Oxbow that fish are stacked in all you have to know is the river and all its hiding places. Ive had freinds limit above Cedar.

[ 06-01-2003, 02:09 PM: Message edited by: TAILOUT ]

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I have to agree with you tailout. There are a lot of anglers at cedar creek because it is the easiest place to find fish, not hard to locate, and takes no time to research and learn the river. This is the beauty of human behavior. Most of the average fishing public won't find my favorite spots because it takes too much time to find them and too much work to get to them. One of the best kept secrets (but just too obvious to not mention here) on the Sandy is the number of wonderful drifts in Oxbow park that people oar past in their haste to get to the water that they can fish from a boat on. I am not secretive about them. If people go fishing with me I go to great lengths to show them as many good spots to fish as I can.
As for Blue Lure Ed's complaint about sharing too much information about well known fishing holes, all I can say is did you think that Cedar Creek or Revenue Bridge are well kept secrets? If you don't like seeing crowds at popular fishing spots don't go fishing there. They aren't the only place that hold fish.

·
Banned
74 Posts
As for Blue Lure Ed's complaint about sharing too much information about well known fishing holes, all I can say is did you think that Cedar Creek or Revenue Bridge are well kept secrets? If you don't like seeing crowds at popular fishing spots don't go fishing there.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">I have been fishing cedar creek for many years and this is the FIRST year that summer steelhead season has looked like coho season EVERYDAY! You can't go there on a weekday without seeing twenty cars in the parking lot. Yes, this is a well known spot but something has changed this year!

The garbage has always been a problem but this year it's out of control. Another HUGE problem this year is snagging at cedar creek. Both I believe are a direct result of the amount of attention it gets from people like Bill Monroe and ifish. Is it Bill's and ifish's fault that people trash an area? No! But it is a byproduct of their platform.

What does ifish viewership require? Being able to surf the Internet! Not all who surf the Internet are vermin but these are some who are! And these are the people that leave an impressive amount of garbage and snag fish. Just like everything in life, there are a few bad apples that destroy that good of the majority. To ignore this and shout me down would be to ignore and close your eyes to the problem. I've been shouted down before about this exact same issue for people like ANDYCOHO and Bait 0` fisherman.

They claim that I don't know what ifish is all about... What ever that means. For ALL of you ney sayers, I do know the good of ifish! I just understand the problems that it creates. And again, to say that these are no problems created by ifish and Bill's platforms is to ignore reality.

I understand Blue Lure Ed's concerns. He and I have been going down there for a long time. Ed's the nicest guy in the world and has no compunction about fishing with people. It's the crap and attitude of the people down there that are getting him down. Ed believes that ifish is partially responsible for that change and I agree with him. ifish does play a role in the fishing public's choices of rivers. It is a fact that cannot be ignored. With that fact comes the responsibility of managing this resource responsibly.

By giving out exact locations of where the fish are, I believe, is to neglect that responsibility. This responsibility falls to each member of ifish as well and those in charge. Have Ed and I had days ruined by new people and their attitudes, yes. Big deal! The MUCH more important issue to me anyway, is the destruction of our rivers and environment. ifish and Bill's platform directs a vast amount of angler pressure and those people cause the problems to the river and the environment.

Unfortunately cedar creek has become exactly like eagle creek during coho season! We should all be sad over that fact. Where's the next river to become like eagle creek because of undue publicity and telling our closest 10,000 friends because we have to brag about catching fish. Something needs to be done about this. Someone needs to step up and create change at ifish. Our rivers cannot afford to be trashed when we are trying to revive salmon and steelhead. Believe me I am not an environmentalist, not by a long shot, but if I can see the problems and be moved to action then there is a BIG problem at hand.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts