IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I salmon fishing and caught my first Coho ever. I had no idea how strong a Coho could be, since I caught him on my trout pole. Luckily, after the long fight he swam away easily. But I felt sick to my stomach because I hooked it in the gill plate. I think I'm thru salmon fishing. Snagging upsets me.

As far as the area I was fishing, (the mouth of Cedar Creek) it was chock full of fish. I've never seen so many fish in a stream. The only thing that bothered me was this Hispanic guy in a gray t-shirt snagging fish after fish. I was curious as to why he kept tail hooking these fish and then it dawned on me, his retrieve was ridiculously slow!

Oh yeah I forgot to mention this, it was crowded, really crowded. Way too crowded for my taste. I'm going back to trout fishing. Good luck to all.

·
Registered
91 Posts
That type of setting is nuts. That's not fishing, that is trailer park trash family reunions.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
did you ask him if he had any outstanding warrants?
that thing seems to go hand in hand with snaggers, unemployed,
wife beater
,outstanding warrant :blush: ,etc.. they are getting cracked down on kudos to the enforcement people.. hope i dont offend anyone with this just my opinion..

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Sorry about your luck :depressed:

Yes there are lots of fish at Ceder Creek, but some times fishing in those conditions is just not worth it, way to aggravating :mad:

As for me, I will learn how to fish different water away from crowds.

Fished the Sandy tonight as well about 2 miles down stream from the Zoo. No fish for me, and did not see many fish moving through. But with all this rain I expect many more to come :grin:

[ 10-06-2003, 11:38 PM: Message edited by: ANDYCOHO ]

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Speaking of lowlifes and degenerates...

Procastinator and myself went up to the Lewis River hatchery to try our luck about a month or so ago... There were snaggers - one method of walking backwards up the bank I didn't understand until today from reading another thread. Pretty blatant snaggin efforts goin on.

Then there were some boats that flew through the area without even slowing so people really needed to pull their gear in quick.

Then some guys on opposite shores hooked up to each others lines while one had a fish on. The other did not let slack out and ended up breaking off his line and the fish for the other guy... a shouting match ensued til dusk...with, believe it or not, rocks being thrown across between them. Glad I wasn’t standing near them.

Trash all over the place - I put a trash bag with my gear for future outings.

Well we had a few hits but none landed. There were certainly fish in the water. We fished about 50 yards up from the snaggin festivities. Ended up skunked and headed up to the truck to head out.

StinkyH

[ 10-09-2003, 11:18 PM: Message edited by: StinkyH ]

·
Premium Member
14,394 Posts
hey idaho, don't give up!!!

first, get yourself a proper rod. 8 1/2' rod somewhere around 8-12 lb test. i've been thinking about replacing my jig rod with something longer and i'd sell you mine for cheap if you want it. a shakespeare or similar "low end" rod will do, it doesn't have to be a lamiglass. one of your trout reels would do just fine for silvers with 8lb test on it. in water that tight you won't need more than 70 yards of line. the longer rod will give you more leverage on those fish.

next, don't worry too much about snagging as long as it's unintentional. when the fish are in that thick, incidental snagging is bound to happen. after a while, you'll get the feel for when you've got a mouth hook and when you've got a snag. with a mouth hook, you'll actually be able to lead the fish. with a foul hook, you can tell that you're not in control of the fish. when in doubt, wait. time will tell. if you have a snagged fish, it's best to get it in and remove the hook if you can. however, i'll be a little more aggressive on the drag and thumbing the reel to try and get them in quickly. if i end up breaking them off, well thems the breaks. a fish hooked in the side or tail has a lot more leverage on you than a fair hooked fish and spending too much time trying to get them in will wear them out too much.

last, be willing to hike a little further to get away from the crowds. :wink: you'll find fewer folks and often better fishing.

just don't give up!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts