IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody seen or touched any Coho anywhere in the Sandy yet this year?

I've liked fishing there in the past on big coho years, and I'm thinking about making a trip this week. The only down side of moving away from Portland is that I'm not so close to the Sandy anymore, so I'd appreciate any reports (even a "yes" or "no") before I burn a day of PTO and drive an hour and a half one way. I don't care if there are a lot of fish around; I only need one. PMs are fine, but I cant be the only one interested.

Thanks!

·
Registered
913 Posts
Anybody seen or touched any Coho anywhere in the Sandy yet this year?

I've liked fishing there in the past on big coho years, and I'm thinking about making a trip this week. The only down side of moving away from Portland is that I'm not so close to the Sandy anymore, so I'd appreciate any reports (even a "yes" or "no") before I burn a day of PTO and drive an hour and a half one way. I don't care if there are a lot of fish around; I only need one. PMs are fine, but I cant be the only one interested.

Thanks!
2 caught at Glenn Otto , rollers all the way up to Oxbow . Next week .

·
Registered
77 Posts
If you are asking me......

I started just south of the Halsey Bridge opposite from Glenn Otto. I could see the RR bridge downriver.
Then moved up to Dabney.
Then up to Dodge Bridge.

Can anyone state if it is even worth fishing these areas for metalheads and/or chinook? Do coho go up the Sandy or just stage at the mouth while they wait to head east?

I avoided the delta at the mouth as it was absolutely packed with cars.

Thanks,

P

·
Registered
77 Posts
So best to target them in the lower river? Not that I have any experience landing steelies or nooks, but I have never even tried to hook up a coho. Someone told me once it rains the coho will blast their way upriver to spawn and be impossible to catch.

·
Registered
913 Posts
So best to target them in the lower river? Not that I have any experience landing steelies or nooks, but I have never even tried to hook up a coho. Someone told me once it rains the coho will blast their way upriver to spawn and be impossible to catch.
Coho on the Sandy is one of my favorite fisheries . #4 spinners with pink bodies or pink twitching jigs . From now until end of Oct . Glenn Otto Park , Dabney , Oxbow , and Dodge Park. That is all I am willing to give up .

·
Registered
77 Posts
Sounds great! I am having a blast learning the Sandy and its tribs and holes. Thanks for the tips.

Does floating a spawn sack work as well as spinners? better?

-p

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Pilot run has come and gone. Might be able to find some blackies up at the meat hole below CC. After this bout of rain this weekend, you should be seeing schools of fish moving through. It's not much rain, but it'll be enough to trigger movement out of the Columbia.

When we've been starved for precipitation like we have been so far,if years past has any clue of what's in store it should be good when we do get that big shot of rain. 1/2" of rain ain't gonna do it, but it will make then bite for a couple days

·
Registered
913 Posts
Pilot run has come and gone. Might be able to find some blackies up at the meat hole below CC. After this bout of rain this weekend, you should be seeing schools of fish moving through. It's not much rain, but it'll be enough to trigger movement out of the Columbia.

When we've been starved for precipitation like we have been so far,if years past has any clue of what's in store it should be good when we do get that big shot of rain. 1/2" of rain ain't gonna do it, but it will make then bite for a couple days
I almost filled my harvest card on bright coho last year , not sure what you are talking about .

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've had frustrating days on the Sandy where there's a hundred coho in the hole in front of me and dudes on both sides close enough to hit with my back cast and nobody touches a thing for hours. It happens.

But I've had other types of days there, too...

That's fishing I guess.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I used to fish the Clackamas and Sandy a lot for steelhead, coho and chinook off the banks, and coho were always finicky. They get lock jaw once they’ve been in fresh water so long it seems. We had our best luck with small presentations like beads and yarn drift fishing and bouncing pencil lead on the bottom….. we did ok with small spoons and wobblers on occasion too, but had to release quite a few due to foul hooking them……. Be very careful if you find yourself foul hooking too many fish. The OSP watch the rivers closely for guys that are intentionally snagging fish. There are regulations on how close your lead can be to your hooks , and hook size is regulated too.

with that being said…. The quality of the meat is noticeably different in these fish way up river than fresh silvers out of tide water or the bays regardless of how bright they appear when they come out of the water.
The URB chinook and spring chinook are the exception, and steelhead are still decent table fare up river. But nothing beats the fish coming right from the ocean or bays. The coho are much more aggressive in tide water too, and a blast to catch….. I gave up fishing the up river coho many years ago after I started fishing the coastal streams and tide water.

good luck to you guys…. You are going to need it…. Btw…. Bring your own rock to stand on. Kirk

·
Registered
913 Posts
I used to fish the Clackamas and Sandy a lot for steelhead, coho and chinook off the banks, and coho were always finicky. They get lock jaw once they’ve been in fresh water so long it seems. We had our best luck with small presentations like beads and yarn drift fishing and bouncing pencil lead on the bottom….. we did ok with small spoons and wobblers on occasion too, but had to release quite a few due to foul hooking them……. Be very careful if you find yourself foul hooking too many fish. The OSP watch the rivers closely for guys that are intentionally snagging fish. There are regulations on how close your lead can be to your hooks , and hook size is regulated too.

with that being said…. The quality of the meat is noticeably different in these fish way up river than fresh silvers out of tide water or the bays regardless of how bright they appear when they come out of the water.
The URB chinook and spring chinook are the exception, and steelhead are still decent table fare up river. But nothing beats the fish coming right from the ocean or bays. The coho are much more aggressive in tide water too, and a blast to catch….. I gave up fishing the up river coho many years ago after I started fishing the coastal streams and tide water.

good luck to you guys…. You are going to need it…. Btw…. Bring your own rock to stand on. Kirk
Doom and gloom ! I have never had a problem landing Sandy coho , and they are great eating . Crowds have not been a problem. Depends where you go on the Sandy , oh well , more fish for me.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts