IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 60 hp. Merc. and I got into a sand bar today and I sucked up a hole lot of sand. It about stopped the stream coming out of the side of the motor. I'm new to this problem and I'm afraid to start the motor with out it taking water through the system. Is there a simple way to back flush or take something apart with out taking it to a shop?? Thanks

·
Registered
887 Posts
It might be that just the hard plastic tip of your tell-tale hose is pluged with gunk. Take your motor cover off and pop the hard plasitc tip off of your tell-tale hose (where it exits to the outside). Blow the tip out if its clogged.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Possibly its clogged, but also possible you ruined the impeller in your water pump. Not hard to change or check though. Is is a jet or a prop? Prop is easier, but in either case the water pump is going to be on the driveshaft just on top of the lower unit. Only takes about an hour to pull the lower unit replace the pump and reinstall. You should do that every 2-3 years anyhow, its probably due.

Also check your thermostadt, if there is going to be a clog, that is a likly spot.

UG

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
I'm no O/B mechanic, but I do believe that just because the tell-tale is plugged it doesn't mean the engine is not getting water. One time I sucked up some mud in my 115 merc and after awhile (could have been 10 minutes, dunno for sure) I noticed I had no stream. Pulled it to the bank, blew straight into the tell-tale and voila! Got 'er going again.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
That's a big 10-4 on the thermostat UG. I had a motor that was pumping water until it warmed up, then it would stop. After I finally put two plus two together, I replaced the thermostat.
Worked like a champ. LOL

Green Machine

1 - 6 of 6 Posts