IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to the San Juans this weekend to meet up with the in-laws......they have their boat up there for a few months.

Anyways.....would like to do some fishin up there, but am clueless as to what/when/how. We'll have a dingy to troll around in and stuff, but probably mostly fish off the back of the big boat somewhere. Bottom fish?

Has anyone been up around that area lately? Any success......for anything?

·
Registered
9,235 Posts
You can check out the Seattle Times Online Fishing section for the latest happenings up this way. It's updated a few times a week.

[ 08-28-2003, 09:11 PM: Message edited by: jimh ]

·
Registered
344 Posts
buddy was up around that area and went away with 160 lbs of salmon , and there limit on lingcod they trolled a jig for the salmon and he did not say what they used for the lingcod... good luck. :grin:

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Check ID Painter's post on the Salty Dogs board about fishin' holes. He was north of the San Juans, but they slayed the salmon and halibut.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The fish are at the south end of the island right now, from rouche harbor to cattle point. The trollers are working eagle point hard for pinks and coho. The chinook have been a good constant all year. Call Dukes sporting goods in Friday Harbor. 360-378-6271 there is also a west marine in town that just started up as well.The pinks like anything red. and i mean anything red. Just a red hook can catch a pink. coho and nooks herring and hoocheys. good luck

·
Registered
236 Posts
Im not sure where in the Islands you well be but Ive been wacking them in secret harbot (east side of cypress) and vendovi island is hot/cold is you catch the right tide.

the south side of james Island has massive bait balls so its always a good spot watch for the gulls they well key you in....all 3 sports are good down rigging or dart spots////DJ

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info guys!
This board is just GREAT!

I'm not exactly sure where we'll be up there....this is my first trip.

I didn't realize the salmon would be thick up there right now......BONUS!!!

I'll report back when we get back!

·
Registered
653 Posts
Moley,
Watch yourself! My friends are up there right now and I was supposed to be also. I don't know if lings are open right now (pretty sure they are closed) there are multiple closures in the area for bottom fish so make sure you don't get in one of those areas! The pinks are in thick right now. Can limit at in the evening from the bank for the little buggers. There are nooks and coho and chum down near hood canal. Talk to the fishing shops and find out what when and where! they can give you all the updated info just be careful not to go someplace you are not supposed to be! Good luck and have fun!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts