IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah....the Clackawilly....it's a great spot...in the middle of downtown San Fran! Kidding...how's the vacation going?? Enough time to get on this thing apparently!!

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
Fresh or salt? Boat or beach?

I would reccomend a charter out of Emeryville sportfishing, or possibly halfmoon bay, which would be Huck Finn Sportfishing.

Right now, they have offshore salmon, and halibut and striper fishing in the bay. Lots of opportunities for good fishing. Check out www.coastsidefishingclub.com (you have to register to see the boards) and check out the discussion boards to see the current info. Pretty much just a saltwater site though.

Not sure about bay area freshwater fishing. Theres the sacramento river (pretty far), nothing happening there this time of year, maybe schoolie stripers. San Luis Reservoir, but that's pretty far too, and a hit or miss striper fishery.

If you just have a few hours, go to the pacifica pier, they should be getting some perch there.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Better Still you can catch a party boat fishing trip that goes out under the Golden Gate Bridge and these days about 20 miles out and they are catching chinook limits daily. Weekly report here: http://www.sfgate.com/sports/outdoors/fishing/

The best captain in the fleet, bar none, is Jackie Douglas, skipper of the Wacky Jackie 415-586-9800. Call to make a reservation.

The SF fleet docks right at Fisherman's Warf, you get there about 5:30AM and spend a good day fishing.

Check it out -- you wont regret it. How many people do you know who have been "under" the Golden Gate?

[ 05-21-2003, 10:05 PM: Message edited by: JohnB ]

·
Registered
670 Posts
If you want to take a ride across the valley. Steelhead are currently in the American River.

·
Registered
17,213 Posts
Or keep it really simple and primitive, and go poke-poling for blemmy eels (locally called monkeyface eels) amongst the rocks under the west end of the Golden Gate Bridge at low tide.

It's kind of a subculture thing that you won't see written about in the fishing journals, but really quite a kick - and exceptional eating too!

·
Registered
532 Posts
howdy. Im down in san fran for the week, and considering trying to find a place to fish near by after my training lets out--

any ideas or recomendations?

·
Registered
532 Posts
thanks all for the info--
fisherfld, i may head down to the clack saturday afternoon-- let me know your availability

I'm heading to a resevoir (bad spelling) to see if i can lure in one of those cali lunker bass-- figured the picture will last a life time-- hopefully i'll be able to take that picture

1 - 7 of 7 Posts