IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time has finally come to focus on fishing and not fixing! With an all-star crew recruited out of Garibaldi and favorable ocean conditions, Cazador is headed to Catalina!

Departure early Thursday so we can fish our way out to the island before learning the mooring ball process in Avalon Harbor. Once we're secured to our mooring we can enjoy a few cold ones, make a little more bait and re-rig for Friday's adventure. We'll be kite fishing for the big BFT, likely between Cat and SCI where reports have been excellent. Plenty of other species including YFT, Dorado and YT have been showing in better numbers. We're not greedy...red meat tuna for Friday's sashimi feast in Avalon is the goal! Definitely going to target YT around the island as well.

Rinse and repeat for Saturday and then enjoy the island night life on Saturday before the run to Mission Bay on Sunday for our evening flights back to Oregon.

We're racked with 20's, 50's & 80's and enough jig/large spinning gear to handle just about anything we encounter. 2 electric kite reel set ups, helium balloons/helium tank and enough hours watching YouTube we might actually be able to make it work. :LOL:

Thursday's update better have bloody pics in it...good luck to all the Dogs up here chasing Charlie this week!

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
As of last Sun there was fish inside where most of fleet was fishing but good numbers on front side of Clemente n to da east of Island. Lotsa foamers, fun to watch. They seem to pop up n show off all at da same time. Schools are mixed sizes, some 15-25, some 40-60, then the good ones 100+. Don't waste time wasting fliers on small stuff as they cannot eat yer bait. Target triple digit grade schools n keep driving n looking till u find em. Very helpful to tie a big bright rag or balloon way above flier to help telling when u get bit. Watching that balloon go "bobber down" from 50 feet up does not get old.

Quite a few kelp paddys around as well if u wanna take a break n see if they are holding some yellows.

It ain't easy to get bit, boat position, wind, lotsa factors involved plus bluefin being bluefin can all add up to alot of frustration doing it yerself, but keep at it cuz finally seeing that good one lying on yer deck will all be worth it.

Good luck. It'll happen one of these times.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Sounds like a good time Bud. Good luck and don't get too used to that SoCal life. If it wasn't so expensive to be there it would be very tempting to live closer to the action.

tc

Reactions: Seelicious

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
And u may wanna have 1 or 2 fliers rigged n ready to deploy pronto as these fish don't always hit da flier cleanly, sometimes yer bait gets all mangled up n hooks don't hit home then u hafta grind kite back in along wit flier, this seems like it takes foreva specially when u are in da zone n that big stuff is out there jumping around, re rig, n re deploy witout getting gear all tangled up can be character building

·
Premium Member
6,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And u may wanna have 1 or 2 fliers rigged n ready to deploy pronto as these fish don't always hit da flier cleanly, sometimes yer bait gets all mangled up n hooks don't hit home then u hafta grind kite back in along wit flier, this seems like it takes foreva specially when u are in da zone n that big stuff is out there jumping around, re rig, n re deploy witout getting gear all tangled up can be character building
Appreciate all the guidance! We're going to target the pigs but at this point a 20# fish would be great 😆 😆

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
If your targeting bigs, fish at night with the iron. 300 gr flat falls with glow of some sort. Good luck, I’ll be back down in a few months doing it again!

tc

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Good luck Bud. Looking forward to some pictures!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Another adventure that ends w no tuna killed…but at least we hooked up on this trip! 6 fish hooked in two days and none landed…broke off 3 and pulled hooks on the others. BFT are as frustrating as they say are…but we’re making progress!

We found fish each day and learned a ton more on the “how”…now we need to land one! Seeing these pigs flying out of the water and crashing bait is crazy!

Boat camping at Catalina Island is sweet…moored in Avalon Harbor. Highly recommend this program!

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Hey buddy I’ve been busy fishin so I didn’t see your post glad you’re having a good time nothing like doing it in your own vessel when you succeed it will truly be worth it and like you say the learning along the way is priceless always good to hone your skills. Tight lines my friend

Reactions: Seelicious

·
Registered
158 Posts
Another adventure that ends w no tuna killed…but at least we hooked up on this trip! 6 fish hooked in two days and none landed…broke off 3 and pulled hooks on the others. BFT are as frustrating as they say are…but we’re making progress!

We found fish each day and learned a ton more on the “how”…now we need to land one! Seeing these pigs flying out of the water and crashing bait is crazy!

Boat camping at Catalina Island is sweet…moored in Avalon Harbor. Highly recommend this program!
Yeah, what a great location and fun.. bringing back memories of diving San Clemente and the other islands, fishing, and hitting swordfish with the harpoon (@ 1983). Have local friends in San Diego, Loma Portal - home town, that are getting those monster blue fin fairly often over the past 5 years. Amazing how the fishery and changed over time. It's magic out there at all the islands and glad you're taking it in...

·
Registered
14,790 Posts
Bud,

I’m sure you talked to our mutual friend. He was there chasing bft last week. I bumped into him at the SD airport.

A buddy of mine from down there stays at Avalon and around Catalinaon his 32’ skipjack frequently. But it seems it’s more about camping than catching.

We were on our way to our annual Cedros Island yellowtail trip when I bumped into Barnes.

It was epic. 6 of us including 4 dory Captains this time. Lotsa hard pulling yellows to 35# and a 3 day total for our two boats of over 70 YT. Report coming.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Blue !ights looking great n Avalon looking like Avalon. 👍

6 kite opportunities? Cannot ask fer anything more on a wknd trip. Getting closer.

Can't do anything bout pulled hooks but broke off??? Wondering if u guys have 130-150 on yer 50w n maybe 200 on da 80? And maybe 400lb leader?
Do yer guys !ike a big single on back hook or treble? Anotha personal preference thing but trebles really gets em down deep n hurts em, they seem to possibly fight alot harder n can get really squirrely, violent headshakes, charging da boat, screeming runs on da surface etc but u seem to get em abit faster to gaff.

Anyways u guys are getting bit so yer doing something right. That first 100+ will be such a terrific feeling. Toss that thick belly on da barby. U will wanna get anotha pronto.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Very cool Bud, what harbor is the panoramic photo of? Soon the big one will hit the deck. Look forward to seeing the photos.

·
Premium Member
6,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Very cool Bud, what harbor is the panoramic photo of? Soon the big one will hit the deck. Look forward to seeing the photos.
Avalon on the SE side of Catalina Island. Very friendly folks running the harbor and everything you need is easily accessible. Shore Boat service takes you to the main dock for $4 a person. Tons of places to eat and we walked to the grocery store a few blocks from the harbor.

Fly back down next week for 10 days to try and close the deal on a piggy!

·
Registered
5,291 Posts
Avalon on the SE side of Catalina Island. Very friendly folks running the harbor and everything you need is easily accessible. Shore Boat service takes you to the main dock for $4 a person. Tons of places to eat and we walked to the grocery store a few blocks from the harbor.

Fly back down next week for 10 days to try and close the deal on a piggy!
Good deal on hooking them. That's half the battle!

I want to tow down for the same plan next year. Avalon as a base and staying on the boat. I used to go out there with my grandfather as a kid. Can't wait to get back!

Good luck next week!

Chass

1 - 18 of 18 Posts