IFish.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished the upper Clack today. Fishing was kinda slow and only a couple fish were cuaght. I think my Steelhead skunk is gone. Finally hooked into a Steely after 2 months without action :cheers: . got myself a 12lb to 15lb Nate. Half hour later I get smacked by another fish. Another hard fighting Steelie. Get the fish to the shore and discover it's the same exact Nate that I just got earlier :shrug: . I could tell by the sore spot on the adipose. How often has this happened to other people out there? About 2 months ago, the same thing happened to me. Except it was an old beat hatchery fish.

CM

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
This is a little different but close... I lost a hot summer fish on the upper clack only to go a couple days later and have my girlfriend land the same fish, In the same hole... I could tell by the lure in its mouth it was my fish. I have watched fish spooked out a holding spot and they come right back to that spot!

·
Registered
748 Posts
I did it in '02 on the Alsea. 7 lb.er twice on the same color corky and yarn. Hooked it, landed it, released it, tied up a different setup, moved downstream 20 yards. Broke off and tied up a new rig 20 mins. later. Started moving back downstream and I hooked it again. Iwas probably within 5 feet of where I hooked it the first time.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Fished with a lurker here on ifish, named Dave, two years ago. We were near Riggins on the Salmon River. He caught a little Nate, with 3 scars on it's head. The next day, in the same spot, I caught the same fish, using the same color corkie and yarn set-up, with the same eggs. I thought that was too weird. Same fish on the same day is really out there...

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The first time I hooked it was on a green Steel-Lee on my 10-20 Berkley rod, Second time was on a silver Steel-Lee on my 8-12 Loomis. Much more fun on the lighter Loomis :grin: . He was still strong as ever after a half hour. Nice strong release both times.

CM

·
Registered
183 Posts
Years ago I was fishing Three rivers at the S curves and hooked a nice nate with beutiful color and a white spot on his nose. Three cast later I hook into another fish and what do you know, the same nate. This story gets even better. Two more guys come to the hole and drop down to the trees at the tailout. Fish on! Yes they hooked he same nate. Three times in less than 45 minutes. Most have been a little hungry.

·
Registered
264 Posts
The part of your stories I like is to realize how fast a fish can recover from being hooked, fought to exhaustion, landed, and released. I landed a winter steelhead once with a brand new black streamer fly stuck in it's jaw. I wondered how long before I caught him he had broken off from the other guy. Gave the fly to a fly fisherman in my office the next day. Guaranteed him it would work. :wink:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Does this count? I was downrigger fishin in the puget sound and was fighting a nice coho when it wrapped itself around my downrigger wire and broke off. Put some new gear back on the downrigger, and bam, same fish with my gear in it's mouth hits, and I get it in. So, caught one fish twice and got flasher and hooch back from the first fight.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Last Sunday, we got into a spot and got a double :shocked: ... rowed back up after releasing those two, followed by another double :shocked: and after the release of those two we rowed up again and got one of the same two we had just released not five minutes earlier! :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

First time I've ever seen that, he sure didn't fight much the second time but we still counted him as part of the fourteen for fifteen that day! :shocked:

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Never with a Steelhead, but while living in Alaska I would catch the same Grayling over and over again on the same fly. Let him go, give it a couple of minutes and cast to the same spot and bam, fish on, over and over.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Salmon river during the fall a few years back I hooked a dark buck that I released. A couple minutes later the guy upstream of me sets the hook and the same fish bit his eggs too.(not snagged) :wink:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts