IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious what you are using.

Reactions: dan silverman

·
Registered
263 Posts
Besides just the basics, some sort of large gauze pad or a clean towel on hand (something that's not used for wiping your hands off) to control bleeding, for things like a hook through someones hand if needed. Anything more serious than that you're gonna rely on the coast guard meeting you for aid.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Look up micromend... they are now in all of our family's first aid kits. Had a dermatologist use them instead of stitches recently. Easy to use, easy to remove and scar less noticeable.

·
Registered
Troller. Explorer, Marlin curious.
14,657 Posts
Getting wet is part of being on a boat. Ordinary bandages quickly fall off in those conditions. We get alot of mileage out of vinyl electrical tape and paper towels. This works for cuts and pokes that bleed. The vinyl tape will not fall off from getting wet and once the bleeding stops you can resort to more traditional bandages.

Just fold a few paper towels into a pad and wrap tape around the cut body part to hold it in place. The tape sticks to itself.

·
Vendor
9,666 Posts
In the past I carried an Israeli T3 bandage for severe bleeding. I also carried a medium-sized boltcutter capable of cutting a 16/0 circle hook. I go back and forth on whether they're worth carrying. Thankfully I've never needed to use either one.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Don't forget the mundane items that are needed all the time!
Seasick meds
Tylenol
Finger Wrap (stretch wrap)
Finger cots (finger condoms)
Sunscreen!

I have some stuff for the big emergency, but have never used it (Thanks to God!), but these items along with LOTS of normal sized bandages and tape get used all the time.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I use a first aid kit from Costco. Plus make sure you have a cutter for the heaviest hook you use on the boat. I have a set of Shimano Bernard pliers with carbide cutter. Got that after having insufficient cutter for a Tady Jig treble, with a 22” ling cod on one hook and my arm on another hook. Luckily got the ling off without further damage to arm.

·
Premium Member
19,245 Posts
Buy extra alcohol wipes. Punctures and cuts need to be clean to keep infection from getting started.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
I often thought a wool blanket for hypothermia if one should fall in or get recovered from the water in addition to the normal first aid kit.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I always carry some quick clot blood clotting Formula on the boat for severe cuts and my buddy has some disposable one shot local Anesthesia shots for hook removal that can be very handy.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I added superglue for wound closure and Vetercyn cause I'm paranoid about blood poisoning, ever since a mishap with a rusty machete in Costa Rica!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Lysol…….rubbing alcohol… has the potential for the most consumbed on a salt boat.:cool:

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I carry a MFASCO marine kit on my boat. Comes in a waterproof Plano box and has most of the required items. They also offer refill kits for a very reasonable price, so it is easy to order refills every off-season.

I also carry a space blanket, set of sweats and sweatshirt vacuum sealed, some heavy duty wire snips to cut hooks and superglue. 3m super electrical tape is also on board to keep bandages on when they get wet.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Among the more ordinary items, I carry Hydrogen Peroxide to wash any deep cuts. I would be reluctant to glue any cut together until after medical professionals had their go at cleaning it. If a cut is too big for a band aid, paper towels and electrical or duct tape work pretty well for a temporary fix. X 2 on a small bolt cutter.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Super glue and paper tape and bolt cutters besides the normal first aid items. when I split my elbow open I closed it with superglue and paper tape when I got to the hospital all the nurses admired the work. and the doctor actually asked me was I sure I wanted him to open it back up it looked pretty nice. I told him he had to open and clean the wound. I did not want fish poisoning. I got it anyway. I ended up in the hospital for a month. Many compliments on the fine work with butterfly bandages made of paper tape holding a wound shut with superglue

Reactions: Tinman

·
Vendor
9,666 Posts
Super glue and paper tape and bolt cutters besides the normal first aid items. when I split my elbow open I closed it with superglue and paper tape when I got to the hospital all the nurses admired the work. and the doctor actually asked me was I sure I wanted him to open it back up it looked pretty nice. I told him he had to open and clean the wound. I did not want fish poisoning. I got it anyway. I ended up in the hospital for a month. Many compliments on the fine work with butterfly bandages made of paper tape holding a wound shut with superglue
Really good and helpful story. What kind of paper tape did you use? Was it regular masking tape or blue tape? How wide? Thanks!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts