IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a bit liking asking for the keys to the castle, but I was always told, "the only stupid question is the one that isn't asked (or that requires a stupid response.)"
:wink:

I watched as spinnners accounted for about 6 fish out of 4 boats yesterday and yet my spinners accomplished nothing. :shrug: The hits we got the other day came on alvins and kwikies, so I am stuck in a dilemma...fish what you know or figure out whats wrong with the spinners I bought.

So I was at GI Joes today looking at spinners and spinner blades (build your own), but didn't see ANY that had blades as small as were catching fish yesterday. The smallest I saw were the Half Fast #4.5 blade, which looked a little bigger than what I saw yesterday. I am going to check at Fisherman's tomorrow to see if they have a better selection

I have been keeping up on the posts regarding spinners, but can't seem to find what I am looking for. Rainbow/brass, brass/nickle, rainbow/nickle, and red/white. Where can I find these in something smaller than a #4 blade?

Also, I know ****** is fond of "mainlining" his spinners which would seem to lend itself to be very flexible with a quick change clevis and swapping out bead color. How do you keep from having the line from getting nicked up from the clevis spinning? Any hints on pound test for the spinner leader?

I did a search and couldn't seem to find what I was looking for.

Any help would be appreciated.
:wink:

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I also like the walleye spinner set up. It gives it a little more undulation. Another good trick is to use rattle beads from Northland tackle. The way you get away from nicking your line is to use a plastic quick change clevis. Oregon tackle has a new wire clevis that allows you to change blades quickly but not lose them the way plastic ones sometimes do. A glow treble on the rear works pretty good too! :cheers:

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Use 40lb Maxima UG for the leaders. Here is a link to an online store for purchasing spinner parts.
Stamina

Keep the faith. They do work..... :wink: :wink: :wink:

Steve :cheers:

[ 06-27-2003, 07:17 AM: Message edited by: Steelie Steve ]

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
I know of seven rods that caught five fish yesterday on Luhr Jensen's Clearwater Flash spinners. Straight red blade/red beads, half brass/blue tip rainbow, green tip rainbow. Size 6.

·
Registered
993 Posts
lured in

go to fishermans by there plain brass #4 and there plain copper#4 then go to bc angeling post by some guide green beeds #8 #4 also blood red same sizes don't forget to pick up some 1/8 bearing beads and some #1 or #2 treble hooks gold or bronze also get some yellow tubing and pink tubing.

put the hook on the wire slide the tubing on the hookfirst put a #4 beed down the shaft then push it down inside the tubing next 2 #8 beads then 2 1/8 bearing beads clevis and blade then you have a summer salmon spinner

the colors that work best for me are:

copper blade blood red beads pink tubing
brass blade guide green beads yellow tubing

thats not the only way to do it but it works for me this time of year i only fish out of camas if you want to know my secret spot send me a private email or just look for my boat 20'motion marine with a black stripe and my name on the side i will probably be there sun and mon :grin:

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Get Bent, thanks for the great info :cheers: What brand of hooks do you like best for spinners? also when you say #4 and #8 is that 4mm and 8mm or is thier size #4 and #8 beads :shrug: I dont know so I thought I would ask? Have you caught steelhead with those combos?

[ 06-26-2003, 08:50 PM: Message edited by: Quick Fisher ]

·
Registered
993 Posts
i like vmc hooks yes that is mm oh man do they catch steelhead i forgot to tell you that the hook is going to look big you can sill get a slack bite so when they pick your spinner and let go because they feel the blade they slide back and find the hook you will know that happened when the hook is in the upper lip or the mouth is shut :grin:

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Steelie Steve,

Nice website there. Thanks for the link. :grin:

A pack of 10 blades for $1.50? That's cheap! Why have I been paying $2.00 a piece at GI Joes?!?! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
94 Posts
best spinner for Steelhead and Silvers I ever used is the cheapest and the one that never fails to spin usually in a #4 but other sizes works and it comes from BUD Caught more steelhead on a bud spinner than any other hardware.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Originally posted by Lured In:

Also, I know ****** is fond of "mainlining" his spinners
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">wow, you know you have a fishing addiction when your mainlining your tackle! :shocked: :grin:

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
LuredIn,

I'm not making my own spinners. I saw the brass/gold and red beads working up at Bonneville.

I went out and purchased these and got two nice natives yesterday in a couple hours. We had rainbow blue and silver out also but the brass/red bead got both fish.

GI Joes or Fishermen's. I think they are BC Angling or Oregon Tackle. The gold hooks seem to be a key. That's a quarter in the pic. I think they could be smaller but these were all they had that matched what I saw catching.

Brion

G

·
<clap>

Get Bent makes the best spinners around. Many of the area's very best guides think so too. :wink:

[ 06-30-2003, 10:21 AM: Message edited by: ****** ]

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
******...you cryptic devil you...are you saying that is a pic of one of GetBent's spinners?

We had three different ones out. That one catches a fish. We put out a 2nd one on a 2nd rod. That one catches a fish. If I'd have had three...well you know where this is going.

I need to get more one size smaller I think.

I also need to get that spinner making gizmo.

Brion

·
Registered
2,425 Posts

No, that is a picture of mine, but Get Bent can make you anything you want, including his pre-made known fish catching spinners.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">You mean the pic of the green one or the pic of the brass red/one? Is the brass/red one yours? I bought it at Fisherman's or Joe's. I went and looked today. Didn't see any on the shelf. I'm wondering if the one I got was a Luhr-Jensen or Brads or something. The BC Angling ones had the dull gray hooks.

Where can I buy Get Bent's spinners?

Brion

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Just curious if anyone has ever tried to add anything that will hold scents that you add. I was tinkering with the idea of adding what looks to be a ran ball to the end of a few spinners so that I can soak them with scent. I have made up a dozen new spinners and thought id try a few variations.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Originally posted by ******:

Get Bent makes the best spinners around.

<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">What he said.....

Scott also carries some of the coolest blades and other componets needed to make your own spinners.

Or...you could just pick up a few of the current "hot tickets" for that locale if you see him on the river.

The guide next to us did, he spanked 2 fish and had a few other takedowns.

Highly recommended :grin:

<edit for Baskett>... Beads and tubing hold scent well. If you use a "stickier" type scent, it will hold on long enough to catch fish before you have to yank in your gear to check for weeds.

Chris :cool:

[ 06-30-2003, 06:35 PM: Message edited by: FWF1 ]

1 - 20 of 30 Posts