IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How thick do you cut your salmon steaks and how long do you BBQ each side?

·
Banned
37,111 Posts
Most of us do not "steak" (cut cross section) salmon. We fillet it instead. If you do steak it, about 1 to 1 1/2" is about right. If you want to make your steaks fancy, bone them with a sharp knife and curl the ends into the center and secure with a toothpick. Makes these neat salmon rounds.

Cook medium heat for 10 minutes per inch of thickness. Steaks on the grill work well with a wire basket to keep the fish from falling through the grating and provide easy turning.

Fillets work well on a foil pan, skin side down, no turning necessary. Cover with sauce made from one jar Beaver brand Hawaiian BBQ sauce, one stick of butter, juice from half a lemon and two tablespoons dehydrated onion (heat in a suace pan until butter melts and onion rehydrates but do not boil or it will "break" the butter back out).

Sauce will work on the steaks as well.

Enjoy. :dance:

G

·
Salmon have long oil glands that run length wise under the skin. When a salmon is steaked the oils leak out during cooking and you loose some flavor. I always filet my salmon.

PS:
Crabbait,
I'll be up next week, when are the filets going to be ready :smile: That sounds good!!!

[ 05-01-2003, 10:42 AM: Message edited by: Keta ]

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just steaked out my first salmon and I think I made them a little too thick. But I was shocked to find out how flavorful springer is compared to fall fish. They seem to have a higher oil content. Thanks for the recipes and tips. That BBQ sauce sounds good.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Dakotan, i to like to fillet my salmon. i then b,b,q them for aprox. 1/2 hour or untill the flesh begins to flake :grin: (seasoning)i like to use chef paul prudhomme's blackend red fish magic. sprinkle it heavly over whole fillet add some granulated garlic,then melt some real butter spread over fillet with brush.and if you like b,b,q sauce, try adding some bullseye orignal about10min. befor you pull the fillet of the grill. :dance: :dance: eat & :cheers:

·
Registered
869 Posts
I had the opportunity to cook my first big fish on Monday night. (Steelhead) After much hesitation, for fear of screwing it up...I called Gramps to find out just how to do it. Of course he said to fillet it, but since I had already steaked it...he told me to cook on low heat for 15 minutes and check to see when it started flaking...and not to turn it over. I cooked my fish on the BBQ with a little oil on the grill to keep it from sticking. Along with that some salt, pepper, lemon juice and most importantly brown sugar. It was delicious and the other 10 people helping me eat my first keeper said so as well. He told me that the same principals could be used when cooking Salmon. The brown sugar takes the oil out and some awesome flavor in!

·
Registered
10,068 Posts
If you do steaks, coat them with Olive oil to keep them moist. BBQ on foil.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the replies. hopefully i can put it to good use tomorrow!

·
Registered
532 Posts
fisherfld, no fish sceen at the DMZ-- zipperlip info indicates fish are high and McIver is the spot to be-- if i can squeek outta here at 3, im going to head there for a few hours--

on the cooking side, i prefer the fillets, but find it easier to just steak them, Overall, the difference in taste in minimul.. especially with everyone adding there secret sauce.. gotta wonder what your eating, the fish, or the sauce-- real advantage in fillets is somewhat shorter cooking time, as well as no bones--

·
Registered
594 Posts
On a HOT well greased BBQ grill, 4 minuets per inch per side. So if you have a fillet that is up to 1 1/2 inches thick, 6 minutes side one, then with a greased spatula turn it once for 6 more minutes on side two, then with a greased spatula flip it over onto the plate. This is not a pancake or hamburger pattie you can play with a spatula, cause the meat will eventually fall through the grill if you mess around with it after you turn it once. Did I mention well greased?
Agreed with all of the tasty ideas above, I'm glad its lunchtime. And yes, get yourself a good fillet knife and learn the art of filleting to avoid presenting bones to your guests if you want them back for more.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts