IFish.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had 9 days off from work and made it a fishing vacation. Goose lake was the first weekend and I caught a ton of fish...fly fishing with Calabedis both the emerger and the adult versions. See pictures posted on Goose Lake.

Then on Wednesday I headed to Orcas Island, with a stop at Whidby Island for the night to visit a friend who just got relocated with the Navy. Great feature of his new home...just 6 minutes from the beach!! He has been catching 2 humpies a day...on the high tide. Pink Salmon to be exact and it was my turn to finally catch a salmon I could keep. So the morning high tide was at 5:40am and I got up early to try and catch myself a fish. On my 3 cast..boom fish on...but it came unbuttoned...DANG!! A few casts later and this bright Pink Salmon came knocking...

Everyone is fishing for these fish at high tide with a pink Buzz Bomb and doing very well. This salmon was 22" long and I don't know how much it weighed. I had some fresh Salmon to take to my in-laws home and they were really excited to have us there.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Nice fish! Always wanted to go up and try that fishery! :cheers: :dance:

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hooker~ Get up there and do some fishing brother...the catching is crazy up there right now

O'city Fisherman~ Thank you brother..can't wait to fish with you again!

Spazz~ Get up there and do some fishing..the fish are there for sure. If you have already bought a Washington Fishing license you will have to upgrate to Salt Water...which is an additional $21.70 I about croaked when the young lady told me. I guess if you buy the whole package to start with you save $10. FYI

Moley Molson~ I hear you brother. That's been my fishing the past year and a half...but have had to go to the trout lakes in between outings looking to catch big fish..just so I remember what a take down feels like! Keep at it...

[ 08-20-2003, 01:19 PM: Message edited by: Fisherfield ]

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Right on Jeffrey ! :bowdown: :bowdown:

I've been spanking the steelies on the fly the last 3 weeks, tons of fun ! :grin:

Talk to you soon,
Chris :cool:

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Fisherfield, don't you love it when the skunk is finally off?? Congrats on the skunk-removing fish!! :cheers:

Dipnet :grin:

·
Banned
1,262 Posts
Nice fish. :bowdown: I was just up there over the weekend on the skagit river. Had 3 hook-ups but they all spit the hook. :depressed: The indian were netting, so there weren't much fish in the river. Saw 4 fish caught, out of 30 or so fishermen.
goin back up this weekend. Sept is always better for this fishery. :cheers:
The extra license is on required if u fish in the salt.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
The Skagit..........hey, that's my river!!! Where were you fishing? On sunday the river blew out with the 15,000 foot freezing level and is still bad. Saturday was killer. The Mrs. and I took the drifter and caught on average a fish every other cast. The key is SLOW retrieve. Cast the Dick Nite at a 45 upriver, reel in the slack only, don't reel until the lure starts to pass you, then bamm!!!, fish on. It will only get better.

Green Machine

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
nice fish. way to go. :cheers:

stop wishin, go fishin

·
Registered
462 Posts
Well done, well done!

I gotta figure out how to get this skunk off me........3 fishing trips for various species in the past 2 weeks, resulting in zero fish for me!

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Thanks Chris~ Good to hear you are doing well. I just checked out your site and glad to see you are sharing some of you knowledge with us less experienced. A fall trip sounds good. Gotta talk to the wifey though....$$ ya know!

GBS~ There's another part of the vacation that I didn't mention on this thread. On Orcas my in-laws own an excellent piece of property in Victorian Valley. Two ponds on the property packed full of Small Mouth Bass. Every cast hooked a fish...mostly small 4-6 inchers...but there were a few biggin's that we cooked up. Shelby was on the chest pack while I fished the various ponds...not much technique needed though...just throw a rooster tail out and the second it hits the water, fish are all over it. I hope all is well with you and your little mister.

Dipnet~ No kidding! We ate the rest of the fish last night with some friends, along with the 3 browns....excellent feast and I was proud to say that I'd caught the evenings meal.

Fishincliff~ Sorry to hear about your spitters...maybe I'll see you in September. The wifey is headed out of town and I'll need something to do!

Green Machine~ Thanks for the tip on how to catch fishes on the Skagit. I've never fished that river but, have heard great things about it.

Happy fishing all!

Jeff

1 - 13 of 13 Posts