IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was fishing the Salmon river Thurs,Fri And S :laugh: unday{took a friend and lent him a rod and he hammered a 32lber}But what amazed me was the genaral attitude of the fisher men on the river it was as close to combat fishing as you could get but every one worked togther and landed some nice fish.There were a couple of fish that got tail hooked and to me it looked accidental but once again everone worked togther to net and free the fish with out gettig it out of the water and just about every fish i saw get caught had four or five pepole looking it over to make sure the hook was were it was suposed to be.All and all I wish I had not belived some of the stories Ive heard about that river and the pepole who fish it.Had a great time cant wait to go back.

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
GOT2FISH,

Things have improved tremendously on the Salmon River this season because of all our hard work by many of us fishermen and the State Police and ODFW that put in our time (our own time) and seeked improvements there.

The word is out and there are new signs posted everywhere and even a new outhouse or two on the river. But most importantly of all some attitudes are changing and the word is out all over Oregon and Washington about the unethical behavior.
I don't know how many times I have heard about news coverage of the Washougal and NF Lewis all the way down here in the small town of Dopey Bay.
That's great!
And if you would have fished the Salmon River in years past, you would have had an unpleasantly different experience.

Dan

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Boot

We moved here from Idaho about a year and a half ago. Spent 20 years in Boyzee and about six months in Pokey. What part are you from?
This is a whole different show compared to most Idaho fishing isn't it?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Outlaw I think I was at the sylvan hole Im the guy that was giving his buddy a hard time about his deep sea rod.{that the bum caught a fish on} :hoboy:

·
Registered
10,609 Posts
I met you, I was fishing with a friend)\.
Boot,
Send me an email, I think saturday is kinda filled up but sunday is a possibility or even sat if you have 2 seats.If you have a cell being in contact with someone to track down the bite is always nice..

[ 10-13-2003, 12:25 PM: Message edited by: willametteriveroutlaw ]

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Whos gonna be there this weekend? I may be over sat & mon or sun & mon. probably gonna take over the small boat. The sled is a little overkill at times. MM

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Im not sure the stories of Salmon rivers past have ever been exagerated, I fished it many times from 87 to 96 and can confirm first hand the lack of co-operation the snagging, and all the garbage left behind. Attitudes were beyond bad at times and Ive seen a gun settle a dispute too.

I have not fished it in a few years and still have a hard time talking myself into stopping on the many times I drive by.

Are there sections that a person can bobber fish and count on the others to stay in sync?
Seems when I drive by all the people in view are plunkin the bottom.
Corkies and a 9 ft leader just doesnt appeal to me, never been convinced fish bite this rig rather than being snagged by it. Steelhead maybe, but fall nooks?

I'd love to fish it again and look forward to hookin up with a few IFishers to do so. Slowly moving to Oregon City again to go to school, but make many trips back and forth while I ready my house on the coast to get rented.

Anyone with an open seat or who would like to get together and bank it during the week, I'm just over the hill on Slab creek...drop a line I Ill join in.

Glad to hear people are having a good time there again.

·
Registered
10,609 Posts
Its day to day on the egg bite and bobber fishing. One day you can kill them on eggs, the next nothing. Spinners can work as well as other things, although giggin is still the predominate method. If you want to bobber fish, get in a boat and chase the fish when they go way up in tidewater on the incoming. Giggers have most of the holes tied up anytime near low slack or the out going..

·
Registered
10,609 Posts
I spend a fair amount of time on the salmon every year, It does get messy, but I had never seen a snagged fish kept. This year I haven't seen very many snagged fish even landed, they were all pruposely broke off. The main guys who made the stink about all of the snagged fish kept are a couple of guides down there, ones a Jerk and accused me of keeping a flossed fish (I caught it on eggs and it was hooked inside out) and the other is so full of crap that you better make sure you have your waders on when he starts talking to you. (not just mho, pretty much all of the regualars down there feel the same way). But that being said, the place has cleaned up alot and everyone is pretty nice down there..
Gottofish,
Were you in the sylvan? If so I say you on sunday..

·
Registered
558 Posts
Me too...Went Sunday afternoon to the forest service hole and saw at least 50 fish caught. Saw a noticeable improvment. I never thought it was that bad in the first place. Alot of the people on this board are a bit "holyer than though" Not every one can own $30,000 sleds. The guys that fish off the bank on the salmon river are mostly just working class kinda guys. I think it's mean to call them names like alot of folks on this board do.

·
Registered
10,609 Posts
I was in a 14foot aluminum boat with 2 ped seats in the barnhole, fishing with a big guy in suspenders.. Do you fish down there alot? I gots a few tricks maybe we could hit it together sometime..

[ 10-08-2003, 12:49 PM: Message edited by: willametteriveroutlaw ]

·
Registered
558 Posts
Just moved here from Idaho and started Salmon fishing last season. Been to the Salmon River alot last year from the bank but Sunday was the first time I took my boat up it. It was great! Id love to hook up and fish with you. A friend of mine and me was thinking of going Saturday AM. Interested?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Row vs Wade try it youll like it while fishing sunday we had plunkers and bobbers there were two tie ups with no harsh words when some one hooked up they yelled fish on then going up or down and everyone reeled in I was impressed that many people haveing a good time and only one mouthy guy that was more humerous than harmful.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Got to fish...Im not a GI joe guy. WVOL..Sorry boats full. Ill check you out next week end. See ya all. Im going up tonight to fish low slack in the morning. I will be with two guys in a blue fish rite drift boat. Saturday morning I'll be in my boat, a 15"sylvan with IFISH stickers on the sides toward the stern...Tight lines all!!!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Monday Morning odark thirty we will be there leaving Salem At 0330 just look for two tall rookies in camo hats [proably sleeping on the bank missin the fish] hope to see you there

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Ill be the guy in the light colored "Ducks Unlimited" hat with a camo chair and a 5 gallon bucket of coffee.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts