IFish.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friends of mine use 6/0 and 7/0 hooks for bobber fishing and one of them is a guide.
So I know without even looking into it that they are legal.
They like a very liberal size bait of eggs for chinooks and catch quite a few of them each year.
I wouldn't suggest showing up with a 6/0 or 7/0 hook and corkies. That might be a little self incriminating. :grin:
I don't fish the boat holes in between but think they are called the Brey hole and the barn hole.
Right where the Salmon River crosses under hwy 18 some of the guys jig/plunk herring behind a mooching sinker in that fast shoot and do real well at times when the river comes up enough for the fish to move through.
The fish do bite the herring there and really hammer it when they hit.

Dan

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I wasn't fishing but drove by the river yesterday. It looked like the parking lot of a Krispy Kreme outlet. From the hatchery down to where it meets 101. The way some rigs were parked, it looked like some arguments might arise when they were leaving. I wonder if it will be better during the week.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
I fished the Salmon once......that was more than enough for me :smile: Something about being arm to arm with people on a river only 50 ft across......

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I spent some time there last week and was lucky enough to get a 10 pound coho man did it shine and a freind of mine got a 32 pound chinook. After the rain it seemed to me like the forestry hole slowed way down and we didnt want to go east by the hatchery so we tried the 101 bridge.There was plenty of room and the people were pretty cool.We parked on the north side of the bridge and fallowed the trails to what I belive they call the glass hole.While there I think 4 or 5 fish were hooked and two landed. I'm going to give it another try this week.Have fun!!! :dance:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have not fished the Salmon River in over ten years but thought I might give it a try midweek. I had the following questions.

Are hooks still required to be single 3/0 or smaller? I did not see anything regarding this in the current regulations.

Is the hole at the very head of tidewater posted or not producing? There used to be a lot of trucks parked by the hole, just west of the "S" curves across from the hatchery, but I have not seen any parked there the last couple of years when I have driven by.

What are the names of the holes are between the 101 bridge and the hatchery? I forgot what they were called.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Well first off it's been kinda hit and miss this week because of the poor tides and the rought seas. I'm not sure if your referring to the "guard rail hole" or the "PP&L hole"(the one with the steel shed).

In between 101 and the hatchery theres quite a few but not many are excessible from the bank. You have the high bank hole right at 101, going upriver there is the blacberry hole, and then the forestry/grassy bank and then the guard rail.

As for the hooks, I don't know. I've seen some pretty large hooks over there so I would say most likely not, but I'm not sure.

Later Geoff

If your in a boat you can add the Bray hole, barn hole and a few other small holes to the list.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts