IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Setting up for bobber fishing at 101 bridge. Question is how long of a leader how big of a hook and are you using corkies thanks

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Salmon as in Salmon river?

My $.02 ...set your stop so the bait is 20-24 inches above the bottom. Leader? 36 inches should be OK. I wouldnt use a corkie for float effect but maybe for color...small and orange. 5/0 needle point Owner hook. Use a bobber stop instead of yarn above the corkie to keep it at the bait. BIG wet egg baits with or without a sandshrimp.

Good luck

·
Registered
6,494 Posts
I fished that very spot today..
I was using a large Thrill slider with a bobber stop set at 8ft to the bait 3 ft of which was leader.. The bobber stops i used were store bought and came with the perfect sized bead. I fished all day and had no problem with them sliding through.. it takes an ounce or better to get the bobber to float right but once you get it they are easy to read and understand.. but umm.. be prepared to catch some sculpins and bring about twice as many eggs as you first think you'll need for a days fishing.

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
36 inches is too long a leader for bobber fishing. Too much leader gives the fish too long until the bobber records the activity. Shorten the leader and move up to a 6/0 hook. Use smallest bobber that works and the least amount of lead possible. You want you lead to be only about 30-50% of the total weingt under the bobber. Good luck.........

1 - 4 of 4 Posts