IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of years ago I caught a fall chinook on a coastal river that was nice and bright, when filleting it out it had pockets of pus(?)(white creamy substance) in the meat, also had what looked like empty worm holes or termite trail type things in the meat. BTW the meat was bright red and nothing else seemed wrong with the fish. A friend got one of these symptamatic fish on the Yaquina river Sunday, and asked me whats up with it. So anybody have any info? Ok to eat?
Thanks,
MM

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
do a search for "pus" :sick: You should get some recent info

·
Administrator
119,699 Posts
Those are the self basting fish. It's a type of tenderizer that they come with, lately, kind of like self basted turkeys.
Did it come with a tender timer, too?
Some do.
Jen

[ 11-04-2003, 07:10 AM: Message edited by: [email protected] ]

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
mikeymoto, i think if you do a little research on sushi and why it's important to gut the fish and pack it in ice asap will explain a lot about the worms. Simply the parasite is ingest while it's in the high sea's fattning up.

won't kill you to eat the fish only that you must cook it 100% to kill the parasite. i like sushimi and if i'm going to eat a fresh piece i'll bleed the fish after it's landed and then gut right on the spot to remove the parasite and ice that chromer down. hmmm this chromer i brought to work today taste hmm so good with wasabi. :grin:

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Mikeymoto

The pus pockets that you refer too are called tapicoa(like the pudding) disease. It is very common in or Nestucca river native run. There are many little pus pockets that run close to the backbone. The fisheries biologists say they are not harmful but I would certainly want to cut them out.

Scott Amerman

·
Administrator
119,699 Posts
Nuh uhhhhhhhhh :hoboy:

Tender timers! :smile:

Jen

·
Administrator
119,699 Posts
Now that just makes me plain sick!

LOL

G

·
Man, you ruined my dinner. Was looking at Salmon Fish and Chips, and now it's Chilli Dogs. Ooops.
Not any better, huh. :tongue: :grin:

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
Scott is right, commonaly called tapioca disease. You could take one of these "globules" and eat it raw and it would not hurt you. This from an ODFW Biologist a few years ago.

·
Administrator
119,699 Posts
Believe me, if I watched you eat one of those, it would hurt me!
It really would!

Lessee... chili dogs are out... salmon is out.

How bout cereal? Anyone for some Frosted Flakes?

·
Administrator
119,699 Posts
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmygosh!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Is Tapioca disease like popcorn disease? I have seen popcorn disease in NF Nehalem Silvers

·
Premium Member
6,233 Posts
Skip the fish. What a cake!!!!!!!
Salmon is good, ling cod is better, halibut is yummy, but chocolate is heaven.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I think Salmon Pus is a great name for one of those fancy Portland Micro-Brews. (my wifes idea not mine...) :hoboy:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts