IFish.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Take a look: www.salmonnation.com
They were in the Oregonian the other day and had an event in Portland this last weekend. The basic idea being to raise awareness of wild salmon and support industries that support the salmon. The "Salmon Nation" is supposed to unite people who live in areas where salmon run, all the way from Alaska and BC down to California.

For those who are wary, I don't think this is an "environmental group," their focus is on salmon and sustainable industries. Several of the booths at their weekend event were construction and wood companies that sell certified timber, etc.

Anyway, it's worth a look - they have some decent (expensive) shirts as well:
http://www.salmonnation.com/fishmeal/products.html

3,877 Posts
CZ,

I saw it as well. Looks like another great cause. However; I am curious about one thing, Has the moderator police sent you an email concerning the advertisement of a non-profit group like this or did you receive permission first.

Just curious because I had a topic pulled from the board that was for a teriffic cause that supported police/fire/rescue causes as a result of the 9/11 terrorist attacks :shrug: .

Just wondering because this is a terrific thing like many of the non-profits I support.

Thanks - and oh by the way.... my name is Terry Luckett just so the moderator police knows who I am :smile: .

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had no contact from any of the moderators. I figure, it's fishing related, and I have no affiliation with the group. I just thought it was an interesting read - tons of information for the general public on what they can do to help save wild salmon....

·
Registered
19,625 Posts
This looks like a real good organization,that wants to save wild salmon. They have their work cut out for them on the CR. Does anyone know their stance on indiscriminate gillnetting?

·
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger
38,157 Posts
We interrupt this thread for a Moderator "Police" Statement.

The Salmon Nation is fishing related, the primary purpose of the website is not to sell anything, and CZ did not say anything about any product he/she purchased from the website.

Kentucky, if you need any clarification of these points, please contact Pete as he was the one that removed your posts and sent you the note. He may well remove this one also if he deems it inappropriate. Should you feel a post has been made in error please feel free to use the "whistle" feature to voice your concerns instead of posting to the thread.

Thank you. We now return you to your regular thread.

3,877 Posts
STGRule,

Believe me it is very clear and I do understand. I was just wondering if this post was approved prior because like the cause I linked to this site it was well worth mentioning. I just didn't understand the "Ifish" policy.

I suppose it is just a fine line as to what flys and what doesn't fly when it comes to fish or non-fish non-profits.

Being a past President of the TV Chapter of the ANWS and a Business Management Degree holder I know and understand how non-profits work.

Thanks for your addittional clarification on the finer points of the "whistle" feature of this website as well :smile: .

·
Administrator
119,498 Posts
ALL commercial sites, non profit, or for whatever cause should be run by the administrators of ifish before posting.
This is due to not having the time to check out each and every good cause, before supporting it.
There are many good causes that turn out to be spoofs, and many people can be ripped off by them.

Please, before posting any commercial link, (The rules that you signed said, absolutely no commercial links, but we do make some exceptions) please write to Pete or I and ask.

Thanks,
Jen

3,877 Posts
Thanks for the clarification Jennie.

My intent here is good, and I didn't intend my comments to be derogatory in any way. I just want to make sure I totally understand the rules so I don't get put on the moderator list of trouble makers.

I understand why the rule is there and totally agree with it :smile: .

·
Administrator
119,498 Posts
Thank you. :smile:

Jen

·
Registered
19,625 Posts
Jerry,I'm not sure if you know this or not,but their are streams in Oregon that allow the taking of wild fish. If the numbers are good in any stream,there is a good chance we will be able to take wild fish. To think Salmon Nation is some how going to stop us from fishing is wrong.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Jerry,

How can you say ...... With out hatchery fish, we have no fishing?

That is a blatent false statement!!!!!!! Look around you right know, there are people fishing for wild chinook in your back yard at this moment. :whazzup:

·
Registered
993 Posts
This "group" is nothing more than a collective group from the enviromental non fishing side that have banded together with the help of The Wieden and Kennedy Advertising Agency to put a happy face and name together.

·
Registered
16,793 Posts
Gregotis, and what's wrong with reminding people that they live in salmon country?

And that they should take pride in that?

And that they should contemplate how their actions impact salmon?

And that we'll all be better off if there's strong, healthy runs and sustainable businesses benefitting from those runs?

You may be interested to know that I've had several persons from these 'non-fishing' (as you portray them) groups in my boat this season. Some of their pics with salmon they've caught I've posted here. You're welcome too.

Long live the salmon!

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Jerry, Jerry, Jerry!
How can you say such a thing?
You need to re-word that statement and say, "because of hatcheries, we have limited fisheries.
If it weren't for all those genetically inferior hatchery steelhead (brats) you and many others are promoting, we would have healthy runs of wild steelhead and be able to harvest them.
We've already curtailed the stocking of coastal hatchery coho and the wild coho are rebounding big time and I'm willing to bet that we will be harvesting wild coho again in the very near future now that we have taken the detrimental hatchery mut's off there back.
As Rebell pointed out you and your buddies are catching wild fish right there in your back yard.
Tillamook Bay harvest of fall chinook is approx. 85% wild chinook and the 15% hatchery chinook harvested there is just a big waste of money and time as far as I am concerned. The 15% hatchery chinook would probably be made up for or exceeded by wild chinook if they didn't have the extra competition from the hatchery chinook or were not the benefactors of extra predation brought on by the mingling "not-so-street-smart" hatchery chinook.

I'm not familliar with Salmon Nation and forget who they are, but the fact of the matter is that hatchery fish are detrimental to wild fish and therefore anyone who is promoting hatchery fish in rivers that support wild fish is detrimental to wild fish also whether they realize the harm they are promoting or not.

So why is it Jerry that you are so gung ho on promoting hatchery fish? It is obvious that hatchery fall chinook aren't needed in Tillamook!
How many factual reports would you like me to send you showing the destruction that hatchery fish have caused on wild fish? Want some from Oregon? Washington? British Columbia? Alaska? East Coast? I've got 'em all!
Don't you think we've done enough damage already with our hatchery programs?

By the way Jerry, I'm sure you read it posted by me before on the Tillamook Forest Tour thread (1, 2, or 3), that all the rivers on this part of the coast are wild chinook only and that includes the Siletz, Yaquina, Alsea, Yahats and Siusalaw and they all are doing fine without any hatchery chinook amongst them.

I'm not trying to pick on you Jerry, but it frustrates the heck out of me to see miss-informed statements like the one which you posted and to see folks promoting big hatchery programs that compromise and harm wild fish populations.

If you care about the future salmonid fisheries in the pacific northwest and want to be part of the solution in correcting and turning around this hatchery mess that man created, you'd better start listening to the over whelming science that shows you are indeed promoting the demise of wild salmonids. Not a very pleasant thought, is it?

Dan

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Jerry,

Be very carefull of salmon-nation. "Remember with out hatchery fish, we have no fishing.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Hmmm...is that true? Isn't that your house right over that adipose fin?

Restoring salmon is the goal, not funding hatcheries. Hatcheries are just to get us over the hump, think of them as Methadone. See the thread here on Ifish on some dam removals dam removals that are going to increase salmon 10-12 fold.

Any group like Salmon Nation that is working to restore salmon is welcome in my view. Remember, there's 50 ways to leave your hatchery <grin>.

Brion

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Restoring salmon is the goal, not funding hatcheries. Hatcheries are just to get us over the hump, think of them as Methadone. See the thread here on Ifish on some dam removals dam removals that are going to increase salmon 10-12 fold.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">To get over the "hump" or provide opportunities for fishermen when you are devoid habitat due to dams I can understand and condone. I fish a lot of hatchery coho up in SW Washington and enjoy it immensously.

But to say that hatchery fish are helping us get over the "hump" in rivers with fish habitat like the coastal streams is wrong and in fact they are impeding us to get over the hump.

I'm not flat out against hatchery fish and feel there are places for them but I am anti hatchery fish where they aren't necessary and where there is good habitat and opportunities for wild fish.
That is flat out unwise and poor management of our natural resources.

Dan

[ 10-07-2003, 11:21 PM: Message edited by: DepoeBayDan ]

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Dan,

But to say that hatchery fish are helping us get over the "hump" in rivers with fish habitat like the coastal streams is wrong and in fact they are impeding us to get over the hump.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Interesting presentation by biologists from the Trout Unlimited and Columbia River Tribal Fishing Council on the use of hatcheries. These organizations are typically thought of as being on opposite sides of the hatchery "issue" but it's not that simple.

They are largely in agreement that it depends on the function. That you operate a hatchery differently depending on the environmental situation blending the hatchery function to the habitat conditions.

1. Replacement of lost breeding habitat.
2. Augmentation of diminished breeding habitat.
3. Reintroduction of salmon to restored breeding habitat.

I think everyone's goal is replace all the hatchery fish with equal or greater self sustaining native populations.

Specific to Salmon Nation, their goal is to make everyone in the Pacific NW aware that they live in the salmon nation and to look at our impact on the area in terms of the salmon.

If we do what's best for the salmon, we end up doing what's best for ourselves.

Brion

[ 10-08-2003, 12:08 AM: Message edited by: BrionLutz ]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts