IFish.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Caught one 14 in. and one 12. along with a couple of trout this weekend... Fishing from the dam. Worms and salad shrimp... Drifted with Dom and came up empty. River looks good but is up a bit..... Can't wait till the water temp comes up.... :grin:

·
Registered
141 Posts
i am heading up there this labor day weekend so keep me up to date for how good the fishing gets

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Tag a long,
I take it you were fishing from the top of the dam?
Anyone know how to catch those salmon from a boat up there? It would make my day to have one of my kids hook up on one of those things while were up there. Maybe I should put a post up regarding that. (what a concept)

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I fished for two hours on Sunday morning way up on the Santiam arm with my brother-in-law and his three kids (two boys and a girl). We were trolling ford fenders with small spinners with worms on the hooks. I had a heck of a time keeping all three lines in the water at the same time as they were all catching fish as fast as I could get their lines back in. We were catching rainbows and I what I thought were Kokes. They were some kind of salmonoid as the meat was the same color as the springers that I caught on the Columbia. They were about 14 inches and nice and fat. Tasted great grilled.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yep, I was on the top of the dam. trolling with fenders and koke killers with corn works great too. We usually catch these early in the year. Not too much late... The biggest was 23 inches a couple of years ago, and a couple last year went 19. They are great eating...

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Supposedly they are surplus springers from the Santiam system. I saw my first real nice one in the 80's, about 8 or 9 lbs. Fish and Wildlife came down to photograph it, if looked like it was fresh from the ocean with all those loose silver scales. I know a guy who used to target them a few years ago. All I know was that he would motor around quite fast until he started marking them on the graph. He would start out in the 90'-100'depth range and when he would found them he would go back and troll for them with downriggers if they were too deep to troll with weight. Not sure if he used for bait at all, but I know that he used some salmon style spoons and plugs like they use in the great lakes. Hope this helps. Mike

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Back up there last night. The father in law caught 2 14" salmonoids, and we were throwing back trout left and right... The bite is on up there even if it isn't in the river :cheers:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts