IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've gone through the archives, and found plenty of info for jetty fishing salmon. But none of the posts mention the Tillamook Bay jetty. Does anyone try it? Does anyone win?

Also, I'm trying to sort out the regulations for jetty fishing and I can't tell if it's legal to fish inside the jetty for salmon? The regs all mention the tips of the jetty and the oceanside of the jetty.

Any insight will be rewarded with pictures and humorous stories of salmon lost on the rocks!

TinnedFish

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Don't know about salmon, but I've picked up two steelhead off the northern side (ocean side) of the north jetty at Garibaldi when retrieving sandshrimp when I was potluck fishing.

Quite the ride when all I was expecting was a black sea bass or kelp greenling.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
About 5 years ago my dad caught a nice coho on the south jetty at Newport........we were throwing jigs for rockfish too :smile:

·
Registered
624 Posts
I have caught fall salmon off the north jetty but I fish closer to the park turnaround as the current is not as strong. My largest is around 40 lbs. It is quite a rush to both fight a salmon till tired then I use a gaff to mug them. I have seen people catch silvers on spinners but I have not had any luck with this method. I usually fish a herring under a bobber and read a book until the rod is bent so I guess I have never seen the take down or initial bite and I have caught over 10 fish this way through the years...sad eh? It is both a relaxing and boring way to fish. I prefer to move around casting for whatever will bite.

·
Registered
499 Posts
A buddys friend went there over the weekend and said they were killing them off the Nehalem bay jetty. I didn't get all the whats and hows but I'm sure a call to the Jetty Fishery will answer some of these type Questions. SPACE

·
Registered
603 Posts
Ya know, several years ago I went fishing off the beach at Fort Stevens in Sept. They tied they're Herring on upside down and backwards like a Sturgeon bait. I pooh poohed the method until it became apparent that I was being outfished about 5 to 1. I then spent the next several hours trying to find the gear everyone was using only to find that most of it was gone.

I digress. The reason I bring it up is that I brought the method back to the South Jetty at Westport and found that I could cast almost twice as far with the hook hanging out of the mouth, the leader threaded through the body and a couple of half-hitches around the tail. I stayed out of the rocks and in the fish.

just yakkin' :shocked:

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I've seen it done by casting a mooching rig with a 2-4 oz. trolling weight. Just cast out as far as you can (ability and boats permitting). Let it hit bottom, and just mooch it back. Salmon aren't the only thing that will eat this either.

MH

P.S. always be carefull on the Tillamook jetties, ESPECIALLY if you make the trip out to the south one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts