IFish.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats the difference? obviously there is a difference, but if i cured eggs for salmon will they not catch steelhead? :shrug:

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Most commercial ( and some home brewed) salmon cures have sodium sulfite in them. Steelhead don't seem to like that as much as salmon do. Hard to beat good old borax for steelhead, salmon will eat borax eggs too.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Go to the bottom of the page and click on Amerman, scroll down and find the page to learn about the different cures, there will be some info that may help you understand some of the different cure theories. Also you may want to pick up or borrow the book on egg curing by Scott Stouder.

·
Registered
873 Posts
The best cure is probably one of the oldest cures used on the coast, Borax and strawberry jello. It has always worked for us, and we are really old.

Sore Back.

PS: A little shrimp oil before casting also helps.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well heres the deal, i cured up 10 lbs of eggs with a friends salmon cure. so should i not fish for steelhead with these eggs and just wait for more eggs? if so i'll be getting some amerman steelhead cure.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Steelhead will bite your salmon cured eggs, they just don't seem to hold onto them very long. If you have molasses like reflexes like me, that can be very important. :shocked:

·
Registered
676 Posts
personally i like a wet cure for salmon where im just lightly casting them with a bobber and shrimp and a more dry cure for steelhead where im casting constantly into faster waters and using small amounts of eggs

1 - 8 of 8 Posts